From:
"Jackie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie R.
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:23:07 -0700

Thanks  to the 41 persons who responded to my inquiry about whether
they had joint pain and stiffness associated with eating gluten and
what they do to relieve it.

Lots of good information -- I will try to do it justice in this
summary.  Best of  luck to everyone who has this problem and the good
news is that you are definitely NOT alone!!!

Jackie in AZ

PART 1:  SUMMARY OF JOINT SWELLING AND PAIN

All but one respondent said they had joint pain as either the only
symptom or one of the major symptoms of eating gluten.  Two said they
had rheumatoid arthritis as well as celiac and that RA is one of the
spectrum diseases (also auto-immune) that many celiacs aquire along
the way.  Virtually all the respondents whose joint pain was not
related to rheumatoid arthritis said they improved markedly on a gluten
free diet - from folks in their 80s to a child of 3.

Several people said they occasionally had joint pain and did not
realize that it might be related to gluten exposure.  One was a person
who was otherwise asymptomatic.

Arthritis involves swelling of the joints and gluten caused stiffness
and pain does not usually involve swelling, nor does it show up on
x-rays as arthritis.  According to the respondents, it baffles many
doctors who assume it must be atypical arthritis or the problem is
psychological.

One individual said that her doctor says it takes 6 weeks to recover
from a gluten exposure.

Several suggested that other foods might also set off the joint
stiffness and pain (I know that some foods are a factor in rheumatoid
arthritis).  These include the nightshade family - tomatoes, potatoes,
peppers, eggplant, spinach.  One person said that eating wheat, casein,
or soy cause her joints to hurt.  Other foods that were suggested as
potential problems:  corn, yeast, MSG,

Suggestions for improving gluten caused joint pain and stiffness:

Homeopathic Remedies
**   as soon as you ingest gluten, take the homeopathic remedy veratrum
album.
**   Thuja 30c might help

Water Remedies
**   hot epsom salt baths
**   steamy showers
**   long, warm (not hot) showers
**   sitting in the hot tub for 1/2 hour (long bubble baths help too).

Supplements/Foods
**   milk thistle
**   if caused by a potassium deficiency, drink orange juice.
**  supplements recommended by a doctor: Glutamine Powder,
Calcium/Magnesium, Multi-vit, and sublingual B12/Folic Acid, B
vitamins, and digestive enzymes and acidophilus with breakfast.  B12
made by Tyler. Midday: digestive enzymes and acidophilus with lunch and
RF+.  Evening: digestive enzymes with dinner, Calcium/Magnesium,
acidophilus, and Glutamine
**   shot of apple cider vinegar every day over time helps to reduce
joint pain.
**   high doses of vitamin D with cal/mag/ and bonemeal for phosphorus
**   Primrose oil
**   glucosamine chondritin (although the persons recommending it
sounded like they had osteoarthritis, not joint pain due to gluten
exposure). One recommended varying brands seemed to increase the
effectiveness.
**  Increase intake of soy because it simulates estrogen (if you have
below normal levels of estrogen)
**   extra Vitamin C in the form of Alacer's EmergenC (2 packets every
4-5 hours)
**   lots and lots and lots of liquid - water, GatorAde, tea, etc.
Doubling of daily fluid intake for a day or two will help the body wash
stuff out.
**  B-12 (see part 2 of summary for more information)
**  glucosamine sulfate

Lifestyle
**   Stay scrupulously GF!!!!
**   massage (good massage from someone with sports training - not just
spa massage)
**  Physical activity helps even if it hurts at first
**   Swimming... we keep a solar cover on our pool and it's usually
around 82 to 87 degrees... any colder and the benefits of the exercise
are outweighed by the stiffening of my muscles due to the cold.
**  eliminate stress

Medicines (OTC and prescriptions)
**   anti inflammatories: arthrotec or celebrex
**   300 mg Co-Q 10 and 2500 mg pantethine (see part 2 of summary for
more information)
**   NSAIDs
**   aspirin for the pain (btw, aspirin seems to be my drug of choice
for this reaction - nothing else works)
** take one acetaminophen (400 mg) and two ibuprophen (200 mg each) at
the same time, three times a day... [my doctor okayed the combination].