From:
REBECCA RICHARDSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:50:39 -0500

A long, long time ago I posted a request for recipes.  I delayed
summarizing because I thought I would find time to test them and then
report my results.  HAH!  My doughnut maker is gathering dust, but here are the
recipes for those of you who stay up late at night baking!  One or two
nice people tried to attach their recipes at Word documents which I was
unable to open.  (Don't ask.  Its a computer wierdness.)  So if you have
an especially good recipe for the Salton doughnut maker that is not shown
below, you might want to post it for the benefit of all.

To those of you who asked me to summarize, I'm sorry it took me so long.

1.  I belong to a celiac support group  in Southeastern Minnesota and this
spring we had a demonstration for our group for surprise doughnut holes
made with a Salton mini-donut maker. They were yummy. Here's the recipe.

1 c water                   1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter or margarine   4 eggs
1 c potato starch flour     1 tbsp sugar

In a 2 quart saucepan, heat the water and butter until the mixture boils.
Remove from heat and stir in, all at once, the combined flour, sugar and
salt. Continue stirring until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from
the sides of the pan. Then with an electric mixer, beat in the eggs, one at
a time, beating well after each addition.

When done sprinkle w/cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. Makes 12-18.

2.  Bette Hagman's book has a good donut hole recipe.  Perhaps that one
would work.

3.   I have the same machine.  Quite by accident, we used a cake mix.  The
first cake mix I used was Pamela's Brownie Mix.  They have a recipe for
cupcakes.  I made that and made cupcakes for school, but had some batter
left over.  The next day I used it in the donut machine and it worked
perfect.  We've alternated from sprinkling powdered sugar on top to
spreading icing and then sprinkles on it.

4. My husband was making us waffles the other morning.  I have frozen
waffles for my son.  My husband surprised me and used the pancake batter
we have and made donut shaped waffles for my son.  They were delicious and
he enjoyed eating them.

5.  Doughnuts
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
Beat well with electric mixer
Add 1 cup of milk     set aside

2 cups G/F flour mix
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix together then add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture.  Beat well.
Wipe form and holes with oil.

Then fill doughnut forms to 1/8" below top level.  Close lid and wait 4
minutes.

If done, place on rack to cool.  Wipe forms and holes and repeat.
Makes about 18 doughnuts.

For Orange doughnuts
omit spices add 2 tablesoons grated orange peel, substitute orange juice
for milk.

Pumpkin doughnuts
Decrease milk to 1/3 cup, add 2/3 cup canned pumpkin and 1/4 teaspoon
ground ginger.

Banana doughnuts
Decrease milk to 1/3 cup, add 1 medium banana mashed

Chocolate doughnuts
increase sugar to 1 1/4 cups add 1 square chocolate melted or 1 envelope
pre-melted chocolate

Applesauce doughnuts
decrease milk to 1/2 cup add 1/2 cup applesauce

These recipes came from another brand doughnut maker and not the Salton,
but should work with the Salton.  These are also for full size doughnuts,
you will have to adjust the amount you put into the holes if you have the
mini do-nut maker and the time for baking.  Any of the above doughnuts
can also be frosted and dredged in either nuts or coconut.