From:
Reesa Zuber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:07:25 -0800

There is a great article on gluten and celiac disease in the February 26th
issue of Time magazine(pg.77).  Many of you may have already read it and
even commented on this listserv.  But I have to share a bit of a success
story in my (almost) four year diagnosis of celiac disease.

I found out about this article from a fellow educator at lunch yesterday.
He walked into the staff lounge at lunch and said to me accross the room (so
everyone heard), "there is a big article on celiac in the latest Time."  4
years ago I had never heard of celiac nor had my co-workers or friends or
individuals I deal with on a regular basis.  But as I began to educate
without pontificating and those around me became aware and extremely
supportive.  When someone has a birthday and a cake is brought or someone
brings doughnuts, I pass up the treat and enjoy the fun around me.  The
relationships are more important than the food.  Another coworker has a
daughter with autism.  Since there is a possible link we often talk or
e-mail regarding information we discover.

I also have the greatest friends.  They see how easily I've adjusted and how
easy it is to cook and eat gluten free, and they prepare or bring foods that
I can eat.  It has become second nature for family and friends.  They even
have gotten so they read lables on food containers.

A couple of months back, my personal trainer at the gym saw me come in and
rushed up to say she had seen an article on cd in Prevention magazine.  She
said "Wow! I sure have a better understanding of what you are dealing with.
How do you do it?"

I do it with a smile on my face, educating those around me and most of all
not feeling sorry for myself.  It is the old is the glass half empty or half
full scenario.  It is not oh I can't eat this but wow look at all the things
that I CAN eat.

By having an article in Time is a testament to our national organizations
and to this group as well.  Our story is getting out.  As our disease gains
more mainstream focus, more products will be labled properly, new products
developed and more research done. Keep up the good work everyone!!!  :)
Reesa

Reesa Zuber, LMS
Washington MS
Yakima, Washington