From:
Lauren Sarantou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 22:10:27 +0900

Hi Everyone

I while back I posted something about millet not being gf. I read the
following in the newsletter of POFAK (parents of food allergic kids):

There is a lot of conflicting information about millet out there.
Some cookbooks and food suppliers consider millet gluten free.
However, ****** said that one of the Celiac Associations has stated
that millet does contain gluten and should be avoided for Celiacs.  I
thought I would mention it here on the list because millet has been
discussed recently on POFAK.  The corrected newsletter I sent out
this morning also contains this information about millet not being
gluten-free.

This is what the newsletter said:

There is an error in the Food Allergy Digest Newsletter regarding millet.
Millet and quinoa are safe for wheat allergy.

Quinoa does not contain gluten and is safe for gluten free diets.
However, millet DOES contain gluten and is not safe for a gluten free
diet.

This was contrary to what I believed. I only received a couple of
resonses and they were contradictory so I'm still left wondering......

what I have seen is that only rice and corn are gf grains.

Lauren, millet is gf and not even a member of the same grain family as
wheat.  CSA/USA, a celiac group, is always putting out misinformation
based on no information from data that is at least 25 years old.  CSA
causes so many problems in this area and they need new leadership.
GIG and CDF (other celiac groups) as well as the USDA state millet is
gf.

Thankyou, and all the best
Lauren

http://www2.117.ne.jp/~chunky/index.html