From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:29:06 -0400

Just filing hundreds of pages of celiac information and came across two
things that might be helpful.

#1, Someone wrote to ask about pregnancy and celiac, and could she continue
to use some form of fake sugar.[sacchrine? Nutra Sweet?  I don't remember
the name]  I have a note that says that sorbitol, which is in sugar free
gum, sugar free candy, sugar free cough drops, some apple juices, etc,
affects the absorbtion of folic acid.  As folic acid is very necessary for
pregnant women to prevent birth defects of the spinal column, I thought
that should be mentioned, but no longer have the letter to answer.

#2  Summer is fast approaching and the old grill is being readied for
summer cooking.  We were told on the list last year that some charcoal
brickettes are formed with flour to hold the charcoal dust together.  Then
when they are burned the smoke carries the burned flour into the food.  It
sounds logical, and as I have had some negative reactions to bar-b-que food
that I never could trace, I've decided to be very wary of charcoal
brickettes.  It would seem probable that pieces of charcoal would not be a
problem.

Back to the file drawer.  Gayle K