Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:49:27 -0500

Here are more responses on asafoetida.  One person wanted to know what it is used for.  It is commonly used in Indian food, especially vegetarian food, and especially from regions or cultures in India that do not use onions or garlic in their cooking.  It has a sort of oniony flavor, once cooked.  It is somewhat surprisingly strong smelling, for the asafoetida newbie.  I would say that asafoetida newbies might find the smell of the uncooked product possibly objectionable, initially, but would probably be wanting to have the recipe for the delicious foods that are made with the spice.  Unfortunately, I have not found a reliable source for GF asafoetida.  My contacts from India recommend against using it, as the source is hard to verify.

I checked on the phone with Frontier Spices (see below)but unfortunately,they said "we don't add gluten to any of our spices but we don't test for it either, so we cannot guarantee that any of our spices are gluten-free."  Oh well....I have written them an email too, and if the information they send is different I will share it with the list.

Here are the rest of the responses, separated by dashed lines.
---------------------
One person says:"I read all your replies.It's true that Asafoetida has
wheat.I'm from India and I checked with my aunt and my
grandma who knows about all the spices how it is
made,etc.My son is allergic to gluten.I stopped using
because of him."

-----------------------------
One person says: "Frontier spices, officially the company is Frontier
Co-op and
the website is http://www.frontiercoop.com, found at
some health food stores or order online,

claims their spices are gluten-free, but you would need to check
with them about Asafoetida. You can reach them at

Mail
Frontier Natural Products Co-op
PO Box 299
3021 78th St.
Norway, IA 52318

Call
Frontier/Simply Organic
Customer Care: 800-669-3275
Fax: 800.717.4372
7:00a.m.-6:00p.m. Central Time, Monday - Friday"
-------------------------------

One person "did some searching and found this site with GF spices including
asafoetida. They state they use rice flour.
http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/spicesection.html
Here is a quote from their website:
"NATCO SPICES FOR INDIAN COOKING

GLUTEN FREE SPICES
Natco spices are made without compromise. Certain spices like
Asafoetida are a resin in the natural state and need to be combined
with a flour base for culinary use. Our competitors often use wheat
flour, but Natco uses only rice flour which ensures our spices can be
used by those with gluten intolerances such as coeliac sprue and does
not impair the purity of the flavour.

Our ground spices do not contain any wheat flour as an ingredient.""

Those are the rest of the responses I received.
Alice