Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:52:03 -0400

Does anyone else besides me worry about the possibility that the
consumption of fava bean flour may not be good for all celiacs? Eating
fava beans can cause anemia in some people. I heard about favism when I
was a child, and was told never to eat fava beans, as some people
develop a type of anemia etc. from eating them ("it is a rare
disorder").  The only cure is a life-long avoidance of fava beans.
Doesn't this sound familiar?

I have still scrupulously avoided the fava bean, and therefore garfava
flour, but I do worry that people in this country are not aware of
favism.  According to what I was just reading, the genetic trait for
favism is present in up to 30% of people from the mediterranean, 20% of
people from Africa etc....

http://www.g6pd.org/favism/english/index.mv?pgid=intro

Anyway, I am passing along this information for anyone who may be
interested in learning about another type of disorder where avoidance is
the only cure.

Alice

*******
*******