From:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:03:13 -0500

Karri Ann's Polenta Lasagna

I had several requests for my polenta lasagna recipe. It's basically the

classic lasagna, but instead of noodles, I use thin layers of sliced

cooked polenta -

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In an oiled lasagna-style pan, layer:

-cooked polenta (sliced thin)
-ricotta cheese filling (one carton stirred with one egg and 1 cup grated

Parmesan or mozzarella, seasoned with salt & pepper, Italian herbs)
-roasted veggies and/or cooked ground Colman beef (or turkey) and onion
-prepared red sauce

Repeat the layers, and top with more grated cheese (I like mozzarella on

the top).

Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbling, anywhere from 45 to 55

minutes, depending upon your oven. If the cheese on top starts to

over-brown, cover the pan with foil. Allow the lasagna to rest for five

minutes before cutting into squares and serving. A crisp green salad goes

beautifully with this dish.

Note*
Feta cheese also works for a Greek-style twist:: use lots of

balsamic-roasted veggies (eggplant is nice, and red peppers, Portobello

mushrooms), pitted Kalamata olives...make layers and top with plenty of

red sauce (Classico makes an Olive and Mushroom sauce that works well.)

You can get very creative.

Southwestern-style -
I use spicy seasonings, and drained/rinsed black beans, green chilies,

sliced black olives, and sauteed onions and peppers, with layers of cooked

chicken strips or ground Colman beef, or spicy Applegate Farms Red Pepper

Sausages (sliced), and topped with a spicy red sauce (add salsa to red

sauce) and Jack cheese.

I find the cooked polenta in rolls at the supermarket and at health food

stores. You can always cook up your own from scratch, of course, and cool

it in a cake or loaf pan, then slice it.

Enjoy!

Karri Ann

:: Allrich Studios ::
http://www.c4.net/allrichstudios