From:
Chris Futia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 21:14:02 -0500

Yes, it's mom-in-NJ-with-sick-baby again!  I have a few questions that some
of you might have answers to, so here goes.

1.  The GF diet transformed Peter from a miserable constipated baby into a
reasonably happy baby with "normal" stools.  We also took out milk products
before going GF and thought he was a little less irritable (hard to tell for
sure).  We would now like to challenge with milk because we're desperate for
protein and fat sources.  Is there any possibility that a baby with
intractable constipation (prior to GF diet) could have lactose intolerance?
 My 6-year-old daughter is totally lactose intolerant and gets the classic
gas and diarrhea if she eats untreated milk products.  Peter never had a soft
stool in his life until going GF, and he was on lots and lots of milk for a
long time.  We're trying to decide whether to challenge with lactose-reduced
milk, or the real thing.  At the risk of getting too personal, are there any
previously-constipated celiacs out there who can offer any advice based on
personal experience?

2.  A recent stool test showed that there are substances in Peter's stool
which are normally broken down during the digestive process.  This was the
first "hard" evidence of malabsorption other than his inability to gain
weight and the constipation (which isn't the typical celiac symptom).  We've
only been GF for 6 weeks and have made some mistakes so we have to assume
that Peter's villae are still recovering.  Are abnormal stool tests typical
in newly diagnosed/recovering celiacs?

3.  Peter is 13 lbs 10 oz at 14 months (no gain in 2-3 months) and if he
doesn't start to gain weight soon, we may receive an RX for some stuff we can
add to his food that is already partly broken down (e.g. medium chain fatty
acids).  Apparently, this kind of stuff is often given to kids with Cystic
Fibrosis who have severe malabsorption problems.  Has anyone out there used
these kind of caloric supplements, or given them to a child?  Any advice or
experiences to share?

4.  Let's say (even if the MDs won't) that Peter really does have CD.  If we
stick to the diet, how long before his intestines recover enough to help him
digest his food better and start to grow?  3 months?  6 months?  I know it
won't happen overnight, but I need ammunition in my attempts to put off the
feeding tube option until we give the diet a fair chance to help him.

The info and support I've received already from you guys has made visits to
the great and mighty Ped.G.I. a little less stressful.  He may not like me,
but he has at least a little respect for me now.  Thanks for taking the time
to share your thoughts with me -- each message really matters at such a
difficult time for our family.

Chris in NJ