From:
Barbara Parkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 19:49:46 -0500

Hi Celiac List,

Here is my recipe for corn bread that sticks to your ribs
and tastes good too.  (I add the quarter cup of chickpea flour
to make a complete protein -- beans and rice).  I eat a lot of
this bread and usually take it with me to summer cookouts.
(Yes, you can eat a sandwich made of corn bread and a plain
hamburger if you don't mind crumbs down your chin. I don't
mind -- watermelon seeds are there already.)

I was doing fine with this bread until early in July when
I started having fatigue and digestive symptoms. It took
awhile, but I finally pinned it down to the new can of Calumet
baking powder I had bought at the end of June.  Has anyone else
had trouble with Calumet or other commercial baking powders?

I have ordered some gluten free baking powder. In the meantime
I've been using 1/2 tsp. baking soda instead of the baking
powder and adding 1 Tablespoon vinegar to the milk to make
clabbered milk.  This works OK, but my cornbread is fairly
sturdy to begin with, and without baking powder, it kind of settles
down in that pan gets a little too sturdy.  Any feedback will be
appreciated.  I'll be glad to summarize any baking powder
information.  Thanks.

Barbara Parkman

Corn Bread:

dry ingredients:
1 cup GF flour (Bette Hagman)
1/4 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
3/4 cup yellow corn meal (I use Aunt Jemima)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt

wet ingredients:
1 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Combine dry ingredients and stir or beat.
Combine wet ingredients and stir or beat.
Combine wet and dry ingredients together and stir a little.
Pour into a greased 8 or 9 inch pan (I use glass).

Bake in preheated oven at 400 F for ~25 minutes.

Enjoy!