From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:49:05 -0500

Hi - I made this to take to a dinner with some gluten-consuming friends
last night, and it was a big hit. Everyone had two slices. :) I modified it
on the fly from a "regular" recipe. Used the same amount of flour as the
original, added some xanthan gum, and used 4 eggs instead of 3 eggs and an
egg white. I used soy "cream cheese" instead of the "regular," but did use
regular yogurt - I bet it would work fine with soy yogurt, too.

Blueberry Pound Cake
2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c margarine
8 oz soy or dairy cream cheese
4 large eggs
3 c gluten-free flour, divided (I used the four-bean blend from Authentic
Foods)
2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
Grated peel from 1 or 2 lemons (optional)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz carton soy or dairy lemon lowfat yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Cooking spray

Glaze:
1/2+ cup powdered sugar
4+ tsp lemon juice
(I probably used 5+ tbsp, and just adjusted the powdered sugar up a bit -
the glaze is supposed to soak into the warm cake, so its pretty forgiving)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended
(about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Remove 2
tablespoons of flour, combine it with the blueberries in a small bowl, and
toss well. Combine remaining flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and baking
soda. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning
and ending with flour mixture. Fold in blueberry mixture, vanilla, and
lemon peel. Pour cake batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking
spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean or until cake pulls away from the sides
of the pan.

Cool cake in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Combine powdered sugar and
lemon juice in a small bowl; drizzle over warm cake. Cut with a serrated knife.

Chris Silker
Minneapolis MN