From:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelli Schulenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:24:12 -0700

Hello, group!

  I don't really have any questions specifically for the group, just musings and wonderings about the GF options (and lack of options) we face everyday.

  First of all, I'm just wondering why we don't have the same food options as the gluten filled world we live in.  I make regular cookies for my husband with those ready-to-bake cookies that are already cut in squares that you just pop in the oven.  I have yet to see a GF option like that.  Also, bread.  GF Bread has come a long way, I must admit, but when will we get a GF bread that is soft and doesn't have to be toasted?  I'd love to be able to go camping and not have to eat a sandwich that I've already toasted that morning and by the time lunch rolls around, it's so hard it's like cardboard.  Crackers are another complaint.  How about a good, old-fashioned soda cracker that tastes good and doesn't feel like cardboard?  Additionally, how about a great soup?  I have tried many GF soups and only tomato comes out as "okay."

  Now, I am just speaking about ready-made foods.  Everytime I make GF stuff by scratch, it's good, but I don't have that luxury of time.  I'd like to be able to pop a batch of ready made GF cookies in the oven and have them ready to eat in 15 minutes.

  Is there a reason why GF companies are not producing these types of convenience foods?  Is it because there isn't a demand or is it too hard with GF ingredients?

  Another thing I have noticed with GF food, like breakfast bars and the like, is the taste.  They taste...let's say, natural.  They taste like something that was made 150 years ago.  If I'm going to eat a convenience food, I want it to taste decadent and rich - not like something that was cooked 100 years ago with a few ingredients.  Natural is healthier, but come on...who doesn't want their GF cookie/brownie/breakfast bar, etc. to taste like a conventional gluten-filled food?

  I have been GF for almost 6 years now and I still remember how "real" food used to taste.  I miss that.  I miss eating food that tastes rich and delicious and hearty.  I miss normal food like soup and crackers and regular bread.

  Are these options available somewhere in the country and just haven't made it to Wyoming yet?  I know of some great places in Denver, but I have yet to see the convenience food items and "perfect" bread.

  I am not complaining about GF choices, we sure have come a long way in just the 6 years I've been GF.  Just wondering why we're still in the dark ages about many GF foods.

  And just wanted to get those ideas off my chest.

  Thanks for listening and I would appreciate any input on what to do about getting more options.

  Kelli
  Casper, WY

      "...He just takes the tractor another round...And pulls the plow across the ground...And sends up another prayer...He says Lord I never complain I never ask why...But please don't let my dream run dry...Underneath, Underneath this...Amarillo sky..."
  -Jason Aldean "Amarillo Sky"