From:
Lisa Yadernuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:07:42 -0600

Hello all

   Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions and information, I appologize for any
confusion as "Chipits" is a product name that Hershey uses only on it's
Canadian products and they're simply "Hershey butterscotch (or chocolate, etc)
chips" in the US.

   I phoned "Hershey" today, and they assured me all "flavors" they use in thier
chocolate chip-type products are gluten-free and any ingredients derived from
wheat would be clearly labelled. However, they evaded my questions regarding
cross-contamination, simply repeating (several times) that any of thier
products possibly contacting major allergens such as wheat would be clearly
labelled, but were not willing to say thier product was gluten free. Some
uncertainty remains in my mind about cross contamination with non-wheat sources
of gluten, but I guess everyone makes their own decisions when faced with this
sort of information from manufacturers (and it happens frustratingly often,
no?). I do give them credit for labelling that the butterscotch chips may
contain trace amounts of nuts.

suggestions and information I received from other list members were:

1) Hershey's Butterscotch chips are GF
2) try asking at wwww.google.com
3) ask your question at the Delphi CD Forum:
_http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start_
(http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start)
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, doctors  included.
Moreover, I have posted thousands of GF recipes, among them my "Best of
Mireille":  _http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2_
(http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2)