From:
Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 00:52:48 -0400

Hello Yvonne...

Speaking as someone who is severely celiac, watch your step in Chinese
restaurants.  As it happens, I cook mostly Chinese food.  I frequent a Hong
Kong style restaurant in Boston that is run by a very understanding Husband
and Wife.  I keep a bottle of Sanji GF soy sauce there and they use it for
my dishes. Stay away from any dish that is deep fried as it will be rolled
in flour.  And make sure that they are thickening with corn starch. Watch
out for anything made with hoisin sauce or any other prepared sauce as they
usually  contain soy sauce.  Most of my sauces are made from soy sauce,
sugar, corn starch or arrowroot, sesame oil, chili oil, anise, ginger,
garlic.

Good examples of dishes are anything Kung Pao style, Szechuan, some Hunan
and many Hong Kong style.

If the maitre de or waitress says 'don't worry', then you should worry.
Only if you can talk to the cook or the owner do you have a chance of
safety.  Let me know what happens.

Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Boston, MA
Donations of antique tools, Hong Kong movies and art pottery cheerfully
accepted.
My opinions are not my own.  Blame someone else.