Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:11:31 -0600

Earlier this month I asked about the difficulty of obtaining medical
insurance in the USA.  I've had a few responses which I am summarizing
below.

-  many companies mark the files of Celiacs with the term "pre-cancerous".
They don't believe that anyone faithfully follows the gluten free diet (or
any medically prescribed diet) and therefore think it's a big risk to
insure.

-  attempt to obtain personal health insurance result in high premiums.  The
premiums are the same for those with Stage 4 cancer or AIDS

-  some have never been turned down for insurance even when diagnosed with
CD

-  insurance companies see those with CD and not complying with a GF diet as
a risk regardless of the small numbers who may fit this category. Ignorance
or  a true lack      of understanding by the insurance industry, about CD,
is the problem.

-  insurance companies agree to those getting tested and show they have CD
under control will consider providing insurance.

-  companies respond differently to CD.  Some very stringently and others do
not seem to let CD phase them.

-  some responses re rejection may have underlying reason not mentioned;
i.e. pre-existing conditions; not necessarily CD

-  some insurance companies advise outright that they don't insure ANYONE
with celiac disease, no discussion.   Other companies agreed to a review of
the application with additional information (a letter from my doctor that re
compliance, no complications and  saw no trouble in the future).

-  insurance people  worry  that those with CD will get bowel cancer, and
any cancer is expensive for the insurance company.

-  most insurance companies aren't well informed and figure that getting
diagnosed with CD increases the risk of developing cancer and other life
threatening complications

Based on the above I would have to agree with those who stated that
insurance companies are not well informed about CD and have not taken steps
to even try to understand; or, they hear it as a "disease" and automatically
think risk and dollars.  This might be a task for the various CD
Associations to challenge the insurance industry to better understand CD and
that under control is not life threatening.  They should not be judging the
majority by those few who choose to complicate their own lives.

As for those asking for doctors letters indicating compliance with a GF diet
and see no future complications seems ridiculous.   What guarantee does the
insurance company have that the person with CD will continue with compliance
after receiving the insurance, and if complications do arise later how does
one prove it is a result of non-compliance.  Of course any non-compliance
would be by the few who choose to live that way.   Most would definitely
benefit from a GF diet and be comforted by the fact that they have medical
insurance coverage.

I have one more question.  Regardless of whether you have every day medical
insurance do the same obstacles appear when you look for out of country or
travel insurance?

Dennis

Edmonton, AB