From:
Jane Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:34:06 -0500

1.  The question:  My fourteen year old standard poodle has recently been
put on a high carbohydrate diet by our vet.   Along with now having to cook
meals for the dog, in addition to meals for my DD and DH, this diet uses a
combination of ground meat, rice, hard boiled eggs and (horrors) white
bread.  Just prior to our trip to New Mexico I had to make 10 days worth of
this gruel to take to the kennel with the dog.   I cooked it all separately
and mixed it with my hands.  For the next three days my hands looked and
felt as if they had been scalded, i.e., they were bright red and hurt like
crazy.
Could this be from touching the bread?  I have never had this sort of
reaction before.  I've been gluten free now for about 5 years, but prior to
that had gastrointestinal issues, never anything like this.  Anyone have any
thoughts?

I am just curious as I have now begun using rubber gloves when making this
stuff, so hopefully won't have the problem again.

2.  New Mexico summary.  I want to thank all of you who so kindly took the
time to make recommendations to me.  I truly appreciate it and found it very
helpful.  Keep in mind when you read the following that we are quite fussy
and spoiled New Yorkers:

Taos:  In Taos we ate at Antonio's (Mexican) and the Downtown Bistro.  Both
were very accomodating and provided very good food.  I would heartily
recommend both.

Chimayo:  Rancho de Chimayo was also very accomodating and the food was very
good.  Again, I would recommend it highly (we've been there before and have
never been disappointed in either the charm of the restaurant or the food).

Santa Fe:  Santa Fe is just, well, Santa Fe.  I love it dearly, but could do
without the pretensiousness of the restaurants (not that there isn't a lot
of that in NY, but we try to avoid it).  Two years ago we ate at the Coyote
Cafe and Geronimo (both as guests of others).  The Coyote Cafe was a
disaster, both in terms of willingness to accomodate and in the quality of
the food.  Geronimo was more accomodating and the food was good, but
seriously (and I do mean seriously) overpriced.  Neither was an experience
we wanted to repeat.  This time we tried a little Mexican restaurant on
Cordova, Maria's New Mexican Kitchen.  The food was good, the staff very
accomodating and the margaritas really superb.   My DH also wanted to try
the Old Mexico Grill but we discovered at 9:00pm one night that it was
closed for renovations and ended up at a place called Swig, owned by the
owner of Geronimo.  It was an unforgettable experience.  The most bizarre
place I have ever seen, down to the astro-turf covered bathroom stalls.  It
was listed as a restaurant but seems to be more of a bar with some food.
Fortunately for me they had sushi as nothing else on the menu was (or could
easily become) gf/cf.  I had purchased my own soy sauce at Whole Foods
knowing that it was supposedly Asian of some sort and so was able to eat.  I
wouldn't recommend it though for anything other than an experience.

Albuquerque:  Albuquerque seems to be something of a food desert, as far as
we could tell.  We ate one night at Tocano's, which purports to be a
Portuguese rodizio.  Having successfully eating at several restaurants of
this type before (there is a wonderful one outside of Dallas), I thought it
would be safe.  Unfortunately, it was not.  Everything was precooked in
butter.  For those of you who are gf, but not cf, it is a possibility, but
the food was truly awful and not cheap.  It was recommended by our hotel as
the "hottest" new restaurant in Albuquerque.

We also ate at a Mexican restaurant, the name of which I can't remember, in
Old Town.  The food was safe, but not at all memorable.

We did find a gem though, a new restaurant on Central in downtown
Albuquerque called El Chamizal (again Mexican).  The food was very good, the
owner was extremely accomodating, and it is well worth a visit.  One of the
nice things about it was that you could buy really good 100% corn tortillas
for 75 cents as a side dish.  I bought some to use as snacks for the rest of
the day.  It was a wonderful treat. Did I mention that the food was
inexpensive and really good?    It is a new restaurant and I hope it will be
successful as the owner is so very nice and so very thoughtful.

Forgot to mention that we stayed in two B&B's, one in Taos called the
Cottonwood Inn and one in Santa Fe called the Don Gaspar Inn.  In both
places they were able to make me gf/cf breakfasts, which was really a treat.

There is also a B&B in Albuquerque called Cinnamon Morning that someone on
this list recommended but we were pretty much forced to stay at the Hyatt
because of the conference.

If anyone has any questions about any of these places, just email me and
I'll answer as best as I can.

Thanks again to all of you.

Jane