From:
chufford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:17:13 -0400

VACUUM SEALERS Summary

Thanks for all the information.  It was helpful to gather a variety of
ideas about what to keep in mind when you use a vacuum sealer. Read the two
reviews to help out with that.
1. The Hartford Courant had an article on vacuum sealers and tested a
FoodSaver V2840 with good results. Great section on “Things a Rookie Sealer
Should Know”
http://www.courant.com/business/custom/consumer/hc-bottom-line-foodsaver-20120820,0,4904909.column

2. CooksCountry wrote an informative article about vacuum sealers and
tested eight vacuum sealers in August of 2009, three years ago.
http://www.cookscountry.com/equipment-reviews/Vacuum-Sealers/20161/
Highly Recommended: Pragotrade Vacuum Sealer Pro 2300: Best at keeping food
frost-free; however it is large, heavy, and very expensive at $469.95
Recommended:  FoodSaver V2240 Vacuum Sealer Kit
“Easy to use, this hands-free model was much smaller and lighter than our
heavyweight winner, sealing food tightly and quickly. After a month, tiny
air pockets formed around food, but packages stayed sealed with minimal
frost for two months. “$99.99
Recommended: Rival Seal-A-Meal VS107 Food Saver with Hold Release
“This relatively lightweight model was harder to use than the FoodSaver
V2240; we had to push the lid during vacuuming, but it sealed as tightly”
for two months. $63.02
Recommended with Reservations:  FoodSaver V3840 Vacuum Sealer Kit
Same as the other FoodSaver but sealing slot was too narrow and there was
almost no difference between “dry” and “moist” functions: $173.97

List Mates advise:

Consider canning for more watery foods like tomatoes and fruit. Consider
dehydrating things like bananas, chilies, zucchini and onions to layer in
casseroles.  The dehydrated foods can be vacuum sealed. Some foods need to
be frozen and then vacuum sealed.

Use canning jars for food storage.

Vacuum sealer works great but bags are too expensive. Suggests wrapping
food in Glad Press N Seal and then put in a Ziploc freezer bag to help keep
the air out.

The most positive feedback from the ListServ mates was for the FoodSaver
vacuum sealers.
I really like my Food Saver brand vacuum sealer - one of the better models
that will work with bags, cans, and their other canisters/storage systems.
I bought mine from Amazon or EBay and it was a scratch and dent item and I
got about 25-35% off.

I have used the Food Saver for 10 years and believe it to be well worth it
especially for meat bought in bulk, fish and preserving garden produce like
green beans.  Some mentioned vacuum sealing bread and baked goods before
freezing.

“I have used a vacuum sealer since before my celiac diagnosis and feel it
is definitely worth the cost.  I recently purchased a new one with an
option of vacuum sealing items with higher water content and love that
feature.
It is the Food Saver V3880. It is the most expensive one I have ever owned
but the best one. If you try to seal meats it does not pull all the liquid
out if you stop it after it has removed the air without letting it continue
vacuuming.  Same with things like crackers if you want to divide packages
into portions.  I also have some of the containers and they work great too.
  I have usually purchased from website when the containers were on
special. “

I received an email that everything is 30% off today at foodsaver.com.

--
Carolyn