From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:55:37 EST

I am so sorry that I am so late with this summary.  I was hospitalized twice
since I asking this question.  I had a lot of responses and people did ask
for a summary so here it is.

The first thing I would like to caution folks about is that some people with
irregular heartbeats have a serious tachycardia and should be seen by a
doctor.  The type of heat skipping that I was regularly having was one that
the doctors, after many tests diagnosed as benign -- not the dangerous type.
I must have gotten 70 or more responses from people with a similar condition,
and others with events that need further medical evaluation, which I will not
address.  These skipped and extra beats, when they continue can be very
distressing, even when one is told they are benign.  Many people felt that
going glutenfree helped minimize the condition.  Others felt that they had
these events when they ate any foods that they were sensitive to.  MSG,
caffeine, sodas, chocolate and all sorts of other individual intolerances
Others stated that hypoglycemia, and electrolyte imbalances aggravated the
condition.  Others have connected it with environmental allergies such as
mold and mildew.  Another few people felt it was caused by the body being too
acid and that for those people not on a salt restricted diet, that a teaspoon
of baking soda (not after meals because that could interfere with digestion)
stopped the problem.

Here are some different responses.

I have been puzzling as to how gas pressure could cause a cardiac
arrhythmia as the heart and your digestive apparatus are separated by
the diaphragm (a thick tough muscle)   If your diaphragm were flawed and
allowed a portion of intestine to migrate into the chest, gas pressure
could irritate the heart.  But relax! In this event you would have many
other symptoms and the misplaced intestine would be noted on a chest x-
ray.   Another possibility is that the gas pressure in the stomach could
cause a vagal reflex action on the heart.  The vagus nerve responds to
many parts of the body.   If reducing the gas pressure with a healthy
burp or with bicarb a vagal reflex may be a possibility.   Please
remember this is a guess and not a diagnosis.

---Gas can cause either problem. There is a sympathetic nerve from the
diaphragm to the heart (also from the eyeball and the testicle to the heart)=

that can affect the rhythm of the heart--I think it's important for your own
peace of mind to understand the workings here. Gas can cause the weaker beat
because of the pressure on the sympathetic nerve to the heart, which then
results in a few stronger beats after the weak one. You're not actually
missing a beat, just a weak one

.  These benign unifocal Pre-ventricular contractions (PVCs) occur when
I have stomach bloating (aerophagia) and the stomach, being bloated,
rubs up against the heart and ennervates it to skip beats.  What you're
feeling is the makeup beat which has to deal with about 1 1/2 times the
normal blood.= I have to totally "burp" myself like a baby before I go
to bed at night. that you are not aware of. You're one of those, like
me, whose autonomic nervous system doesn't adjust quickly to such
changes, so you're more aware of the quiet workings of  your body than
most. It's often unsettling, but also often means you will live longer
because  you won't be one of those who adjust to the pain of a heart
attack so quickly that you do not feel the need to go the doc. I
normally "skip" every fourth beat and have for decades. (Actually it's
just a weak beat like yours.)

Again all, please, if you have this problem, before thinking it is a benign
condition, make sure you are diagnosed by a doctor.