From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:42:27 -0600

Thank you to everyone who gave the following recommendations.  We are looking forward to our trip.

Rita

Go to www.dfwceliac.org; there is a lot of information about restaurants.  Restaurant link is:  http://www.dfwceliac.org/html/restaurants.html

There are a few restaurants in that area. Starting with the most casual it would have to be Springcreek BBQ which has ribs, turkey, chicken and sliced beef - all are gluten free. The sides are gluten free, except the obvious. You will need to tell them when you go through the line and they are preparing your plate to not put the bread on the plate. They move so fast that that can be an issue.

You can pull up the web sites for Outback Steakhouse, On The Border, and Don Pablos. They all have gluten free choices. I understand that a slightly more upscale mexican restaurant, Cantina Laredo, has chicken fajitas and their corn tortillas are gluten free.

Macaroni Grill, I have been told, will cook your own pasta if you bring it in. It is a pretty good choice as well. As far as upper-end restaurants go, That is not necessarily the best area to be in. It has all the typical chain restaurants, but not out of this world fabulous. You will need to venture farther into Dallas, Plano, or Addison, all of which are not that far.

There is a completely gluten free restaurant in Plano which is about 20 miles from Lewisville.  They recently revised their menu, my husband and I really enjoyed our meals there.  It is Delicious-n-fit. Their web site is www.delicious-n-fit.com.
There is a P.F. Chang in Grapevine, and a Carrabbas who has a gf menu
online, you might want to print the gf menu and take it with you.

My family lives in Highland Village, which is 15 minutes from the mall.
There is a Pei Wei by Target; if you need something quick.  But truthfully, we haven't found anything unusual in the Vista Ridge Mall area to go back to again. (our 19 year old daughter is the celiac; diagnosed about 3 years ago).  We have hit the Outback right over there.

There is one spot that will require a little driving but worth the experience; it is a tea room called Chocolate Angel in Richardson TX. It is located off of 190 (George Bush Tollway) and Coit; turn right on Coit, left on Campbell Road. When my daughter gets married, it is the place we will go. The owner's daughter is a celiac (vegetarian also). It requires a reservation and if you have a good sized group; they could tuck you in the lower room. If this isn't what you had in mind, the owner would be a great resource for you on other possibilities.

Chocolate Angel Café - 635 Campbell Road; 972-234-8099.  This is perfect; they will treat all of you so special. The owner (actually co-owner with her sister) and her celiac daughter have come up with 5 items (chicken salad, tuna salad, artic freeze, broccoli salad, fruit salad).  They have a tea room menu item where you select 3 items (it comes with a scone and they usually don't require reminding to not include it). When you call for a reservation; tell her you will have celiac guests, she will personally pick your waiter - - the last time there, we were served by her son-in-law who knows of the special needs via his wife, the owner's daughter.  When my daughter, celiac friends, and I go; we order the 5 items between us and share so we have a taste of everything on the gf menu. I am not celiac so I order the sixth one; they have this incredible congealed salad. (I am going through withdrawals just typing this menu.)  There is a gf dessert and/or vanilla ice cream. I can't recall what the dessert is but I know it is not made every day so be sure to ask what gf desserts they will have that day.  Let her know of your bridal theme because they have 2 rooms to eat in; one as you enter which is warm, dark and one lower, which is white, airy - - the white room might fit your sisters' vision of a bridal weekend plus it is a little more private.  And post-meal; there is a great store next door for shopping. The items are unique and fun.

*******
*******