From:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Kelley-Mull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:04:00 -0500

Well, my original post asked about whether I can just go into a restaurant and order a margarita without quizzing the bartender.  I have already had 11 responses and thought I would quickly summarize what I have so far.

While two people said it is okay to go order a margarita, most agreed that I should be careful of the mixer.  One responders wife said to order a margarita at TGI Fridays.

My husband was a bartender long ago and he makes me margaritas at home.  Since several people wanted to know what to use ... here's how he makes my margaritas at home:

Sauza Commemorativo tequila
Grand Marnier
Master of Mixes Sweet and Sour
Real limes or real lime juice (Roses Lime Juice was not okay the last time we checked - can't remember if they just won't verify gf or if they said it contains gluten)

We verified all these ingredients as gf this past spring ... it may be time to make phone calls again and I would certainly suggest that any listmates call themselves to make sure it is all still okay (I haven't had a margarita in quite a while).  Last spring Master of Mixes claimed all their mixers are gf.

The reason I asked my question was that I thought I may have inaccurate info about the gf status of mixers, etc.  I don't want to be paranoid and want to live as normally as possible without getting sick.  Looks like I need to continue to be careful.

Last thing: a couple of posters suggested ordering rum and coke as both are gf.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded so promptly.  I imagine I will get more responses since I summarized so quickly - I did so because several of you would like to make margaritas for new years eve, so I wanted to give you time to plan.  Cheers everyone,
Lori