From:
Barbara Cieslak-Sydor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:49:14 +0000

I read with interest the two posts regarding the above.
I am a breastfeeding activist and asked my friend who has access to
breastfeeding medical research to search for an answer to the
following questions that were posed.

Asked by S. Christie;  Can I be passing glutin on to him, should
I be gf also?  If so, why wouldn't breast fed infants have real Celiac
problems before actual exposure to glutin?

My friend found that Breastfeeding is beneficial to a CD baby/child and
there is no studies showing that a mother should avoid gluten in her
diet.  Her conclusions show so far that breastfeeding is protective re:
gluten and the CD child and no indications for the mother to avoid
gluten.  She is accessing an article that talks about the exact
mechanism in breastmilk that can protect a child from CD or lessen the
severity of the disease.  When I find out more about this I can post it
or send it privately.

So this would also suggest that breastfeeding is keeping him healthy
and wean only when you and your child are ready.

And, of course, if a mother has CD she should avoid gluten.

Also Lorraine Dowdle mentioned she can get candida or thrush
sometimes and it is controlled with acidopholous.  I suggest that any
thing that compromises our immune system such as CD would create the
idea breeding ground for yeast.  I have info that can help thrush
too ,if you would like it, Lorraine.  You can email if you want this info.

Hope this helps,
Barbara Cieslak-Sydor
Calgary, Alberta
wife to Gene who has CD and mom to 3 children