From:
Allen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:36:45 -0500

Hi All,

Once again, you have come to the rescue. It looks like I will have a
great time in Scottsdale eating! I had many great suggestions and here
is the summary:

```````````````````````````````````````

I've been to the Phoenician in Scottsdale several times and they are
most accommodating.  Talk to the head chef when you get there and they
will bend over backwards to keep you safe

```````````````````````````````````````

You have picked the best place in the world!  We have stayed there twice
with our kids, who are both gf.  Send a fax to the executive chef and
let him know you are coming.  Before our last trip (last spring), he
went out and bought gf bread and pasta for us.  So my kids had bread
with their meals, french toast for breakfast and spaghetti for dinner.
And there are many other options on the menu at Squash Blossom (I
think?), and the waiters sing songs at the Italian place.  It is a great
place, and we had a wonderful, wonderful experience there!  Good luck,
and enjoy!

Also, the Whole Foods in Phoenix (about 20 min. away) has an
unbelievable GF section.  Worth the trip if you have a car.  Have a
great time!  Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

``````````````````````````````````````````

We stayed there at Labor Day - we live in Tucson - so I had some
groceries with me.  AJ's Fine Foods  (now it's almost a "chain" in the
PHX area) is a gourmet grocery store - the original is not very from the
Hyatt on the corner of Scottsdale Road and Lincoln (just in on Lincoln).
It is a wonderful store.

If you get a chance to eat out I would DEFINITELY recommend La Locanda -
a Northern Italian Restaurant - which is very close to the Hyatt - I had
a Salad Caprese and a Risotto - tomato base.  This is the real deal.
Personally I'd ditch out of one of those BBQ events, but if you have to
go to one or more BBQ - watch out.  Eat prior.

I did eat a breakfast at the Hyatt - buffet - no reaction to what I
figured was safe (eggs, fruit).

The "Whole Foods" store in Tempe is too far away.

``````````````````````````````````````````

I stayed at Gainey RAnch last Oct. Like any upscale place they are very
accommodating. You just have to ask.

``````````````````````````````````````

Hi! I just moved from Arizona, so I thought I'd share a few thoughts
with you about what's available there as far as gluten free stuff. I'm
not familiar with the hotel/resort's restaurant policies, but there is a
restaurant in Scottsdale called Z Tejas (it's in the Scottsdale Fashion
Square) that has a GF menu. Be sure to ask specifically for it, they
keep copies of it up at the hostess' stand, but some of the hostesses
don't know it's there. The food is great, and it's so cool to be able to
eat right off the menu!

Also, there's a store called Trader Joe's that has lots of gluten free
stuff and gourmet stuff (and it's cheap! - good wines too). There's a
location in Scottsdale at Scottsdale Road and Shea.

````````````````````````````````

I suggest you contact Nina Spitzer of Celiac Disease Foundation's
Connection Group there.  Her email address is: [log in to unmask]

````````````````````````````````````

I think there are health food stores in the area that may carry some gf
foods.

My young niece has been diagnosed with cd.  We have just moved to
Scottsdale and the Hyatt you will be staying at is also a spa, I think.
I imagine they will be very accomodating and have lots of fresh fruit,
vegetables etc.  If not ,  1 mile north of the hotel, on Scottsdale Road
and Shea Blvd is a Wild Oats Community Market.  They carry gf food.
Their phone # is 480 905 1441.  Their address is 7129 E Shea Blvd.

Thanks again, I appreciate all of your help.

Diana in RI