From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 14:17:15 -0400

Below is the post I sent about a week ago.  Thanks to everyone who answered.
I did go on Saturday and was treating with great respect.  None of them said
they knew anyone with celiac as one person told me but they were very
careful with my food. There must have been a different hostess and manager
the day she was there.  I told the manager I got gotten a good report about
his restaurant in reference to celiac and he was very impressed.
I ordered the steak without the seasoning and shrimp scampi.  It came with a
baked potato and brocolli.  I did not bother with the salad bar.
For those who asked, Selden is close to Rocky Point, Long Island.
Ginny

>Has anyone even been to Ruby Tuesdays in Selden, Long Island?  If so, can
>you tell me what you have found that is safe.  I am about 3 hours from
there
>but will be going there for a party this weekend.  If anyone can help me
out
>I would appreciate it.
i just went to one in columbus and i got the loaded baked potato, it came
with a salad bar as well.  i didn't get bacon on it, just cheese and it was
pretty good.
I live right near this Ruby Tuesday.  This is actually the only restaurant
we have taken our daughter to (she's our Celiac).  I spoke with the hostess
first, believe it or not she knew all about CD.  Her friends daughter was
recently diagnosed.  Once we were seated she brought the manager over to our
table.  I explained the diet and said that I didn't want to just order a
naked hamburger for her.  I asked if they could make her a plain piece of
grilled chicken without spices and some steamed vegetables.  The manager
personally saw to my daughter's meal.  The chef had added seasoning to the
chicken, the manager came out and apologized - had the chef clean the grill
and make another.  She was served a huge piece of grilled chicken and a
plate of steamed carrots.  After her meal was served both the manager and
waitress came over a number of times to ask if she wanted more vegetables or
anything else.  We had gone off peak and were very pleased with the service.
I hope your experience is just as good!
This is a franchise.  I love the potato skins and the spinach queso. Great
salad bar.
Ruby tuesday's is famous for wheat dusted fries and salad dressings with MFS
and HVP... We avoid them.
------------------------------------------I can not speak to your specific
Ruby Tuesday, but here is the response I got from their corporate
headquarters. I found it quite disappointing.

Subject: Comment from Ruby Tuesday Web Feedback Form.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us today - I wish I could be the
bearer of good news. To ensure consistency of flavor and the safety of our
Guests, many of our products are made for us by manufacturers and shipped to
our locations. Also, our menu changes so often to keep up with America's
changing tastes, and many of the thousands of guests we serve each month ask
for substitutions and changes in condiments, toppings, and side dishes.
Because of that, we do not currently carry information on Gluten content-  I
have to apologize, I do not have that information readily available.  We
want you to think of us first when you think of your favorite restaurant and
look forward to having you as a guest in a Ruby Tuesday soon. We want to
have the opportunity to WOW you once again! Should you have any further
questions, please let me know. Have a great day!
You probably want to eat before you go and pack some stuff to eat there.  I
haven't been to that particular one but it is a national chain and I
recently checked the menu here in Columbus (OH) and didn't think that I
would be able to even get straight information on the ingredients.  Big
disappointment as they used to be very accomodating and had a much more
workable menu previously.  Here is their website, check out their menu for
yourself:  http://www.ruby-tuesday.com/
Do yourself a favor:  be on the safe side and call ahead to arrange salad
stuff direct from the kitchen and  not from the salad bar where you are more
likely to succumb to cross-contamination.