From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:00:19 -0500

Patients with Celiac disease are at risk for kidney stones.  The
malabsorbtion of fat causes the fat to stay in the intestine.  Fat
binds calcium.  With calcium bound to fat, oxalic acid, which usually
would be bound up by the calcium, is better absorbed.  Oxalic acid
stones then can form in the kidney.

Increased dietary calcium helps, since the calcium then can bind up the
oxalic acid.  Calcium supplements taken at non-meal times increase the
risk of kidney stones, so I tell my patients to take the calcium
supplements with meals.

The stone that passed may have be rattling around a while.

Stephen Holland, M.D.