From:
Tracey & Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracey & Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 05:05:45 -0400

lots of archive info on itching, but i can't find an answer to my specific
question.

I started ITCHING recently, ALL OVER, worst on my scalp, under my chin, and
on my back.  i have no obvious rash like DH or poison ivy, but in some
places a single small bump, smaller than a mosquito bite, and in some other
places, a bit of bumpy skin.  I've never had this kind of all-over itch
before. It seems worse at night when i go to bed, maybe because i'm not
concentrating on other things.

it began, to the best of my knowledge, on 29 April, a couple hours after i
ate half a hamburger bun.

Now before you jump my case, earlier that day, Dr. Allesio Fasano reviewed
my biopsy slides, antibody blood test results, med history, etc. and
pronounced me **NOT a celiac**. He said that based on what i was telling him
(and *not* based on any tests) i appeared to have a gluten sensitivity.  He
also said it wouldn't hurt me long term to have wheat, and that "by all
means have gluten on special occassions," if i was willing to tolerate a
short-term return of the symptoms that i said disappeared.  I wanted to see
what would happen if i ate wheat after being GF since 8 March. i've never
ITCHED like this before, including from gluten.

We left for vacation after my dr's appt, which i consider a special
occassion, and I've eaten wheat 3 times. The hamburger bun and 2 episodes of
hush puppies, which i'm assuming had wheat.  (My breastbone pain did return
all three times, by the way.)

Doesn't seem related to a change in body soap, although it may be we changed
to Tide clothes detergent, but that wouldn't make my scalp itch would it?
That's the only other thing that i changed. Other than the bun and hush
puppies, i've been scrupulously GF to the best of my knowledge.

Are there any other non celiacs (or celiacs)who get this reaction to gluten?
How long does it last?  What can i do to resolve the itch?

Any non-celiacs willing to share experiences on being not-celiac but gluten
sensitive?

i'll summarize.

thanks, your itching listserv member,
tracey in southern maryland