From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 13:14:20 EDT

I finally received a response from the customer service representative at
Jenny Craig regarding the source of the malt in several of their bars.  The
malt is indeed made from Barley which would make the bars NOT gluten free.

This is very unfortunate since it is only one ingredient in the bars and they
obviously tried to make them gluten free by using rice flour and at least
doing some level of research on what gluten is.  Their website apparently
still states that they are gluten free and I got the impression that they are
still going to claim them as suitable for most people on gluten free diets,
since the rep said that it is only a minute amount that is contained in the
krispies.

If any one would like to contact the company, they can call Marcie DePaglona
at Balance Bars/ Jenny Craig at 1-800-678-4246  x2201.

-Joany

Joany Janicki
Washington, DC