From:
United Machine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 19:00:12 -0400

Recently a member posted:

>"Anyone game for a trend setting lawsuit against a particularly surly food
>giant with deep pockets?"

I realize the frustration that this individual faces, but I don't think
his lawsuit would work.

More than likely, major food companies are in compliance with current
labelling laws/ thus  there is no liability. Nor do I think threatening
companies with lawsuits is wise approach. To me, one willing to sue
over"hyrdolyzed vegetable protein" listed on a label, is likely to file
suit if they have a reaction after eating my product. (even if it does
not contain gluten) Sorry, but I wouldn't want customers like that.!

First of all, many companies are unwilling to declare that there
products are GF because of the litigous society we live in. Sadly, from
a legal standpoint they are better off not to declare their products to
be GF unless they have !00% control.

Fortunately, many companies are not afraid to report on their products.
Start advocating lawsuits, of any kind< and these sources may pull back.

Real change will only take place once the media gets "turned on" to this
Celiac Disease.

This list is great, but i propose a moratorium. Instead of posting to
this list on one day every subscriber should write a letter to The NY
Times, The following month , we should write to the Washington Post.
Next, 2000 plus letters to Dr Timothy Johnson of ABC news. Then  aflood
of letter to National Public Radio.

I think media exposure will prompt food manufacturers to take notice.

Thanks
Dan Davis