From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 09:42:46 -0800

James Hughes wrote:
"It really doesn't surprise me that my physicians never thought to connect
the allergy to the symptom - I don't think most doctors take allergies
seriously.  From what I understand d.h. also has visible
lesions."

I'm replying to the list to generate replies on this....
I reported a "pox or shingle-like" series of attacks to my Dr just after my
gluten intolerance onset, 3 years ago.  Worse when I lay down at night.
These continue.  While I have the odd "bad day" with my usual celiac
symptoms, there are no days off from this.   Flare-ups are like
pin-cushion penetrations from within.

A few months ago a poster to this list discussed DH pre forma, i.e. not
advanced enough to exhibit lesions, but with the subcutaneous irritations
erupting.  I never saw I reply to that.  I asked my Drs about it.  They had
no idea what I was talking about.  My Dr. just said I didn't have shingles
or a pox.  My GI Dr. just said, "No lesions...no DH!  Maybe it's a heat rash
or try changing your bath soap."  (Which I did with no relief.)  It's not
eczema or a heat rash because you feel the prickliness emerge up from
within in a blotch, then migrate.  There was a recent posting on
subcutaneous anti-gliadin irritating patches.

Any help on this?  This is the most tormenting, maddening aspect of my
battle with gluten, even after I've gotten the other problems pretty much
tamed down.  I find myself not being able to not scratch in a business or
social setting, which is pretty bad, but getting to sleep is almost
impossible.  The Drs just said to take benadryl (the pills make me too
drowsey to go to work and the elixir is heavy on an alcohol of unknown
origin).

Jere in So. Cal.