Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 23:11:29 -0400

diagnosed at the same age and also was quite delayed- however... as soon as I
got her on a completely gluten free diet the improvements in every area were
nothing less than amazing.  Within two weeks her language development was
blossoming, her physical stamina increasing and her personality was much
happier.  The best thing you can do for your child is to focus on feeding  a
strictly gluten free diet .  If you are unsure of an item then I suggest
leaving it out until you have time to research it. Use pure and simple
ingredients to avoid any unknown gluten from slipping in  until you are
comfortable with the diet.     If your child has been undiagnosed for a long
time than most likely  he suffers from lactose intolerance at this time as
well.  For the first 6-12 weeks keep lactose  out of the diet as much as
possible because as I understand it, the enzymes to digest lactose are
located at the base of the villi.  They may also be damaged and need time to
heal.   Your child may be quite distrustful of food by now as it may cause
physical distress or discomfort- so  a very cautious approach to
reintroducing foods is strongly recommended.  My daughter was diagnosed  over
3 years ago and is thriving now I  am happy to say.