From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:44:27 -0500

It seems to me that we, as the CELIAC community, may need to tighten
up our use of terms.  This morning there was a message saying that
gluten molecules are large enough to show up in a clear liquid, and
one would know if gluten were in an IV or vinegar, etc.  I feel sure
that is correct.

However, as I understand the chemistry from a lecture by  Don Kasarda
(PhD  in food chemistry with a specialty in grains), it is only a
small fraction of a gluten molecule that causes celiac disease, and
that part is called GLIADIN.  We casually talk and write about being
sensitive to gluten, but in this case it may be misleading, and cause
us to be in error.

This message is complicated because my computer prints GLIADIN in red
ink - telling me there is no such word or that I'm misspelling.  I
think, but am not sure, that the spelling is correct.  Will someone
who knows more about this please respond to the LIST, and not just to
me.

Thank you,  Gayle Kennedy