From:
Valerie Zelinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Zelinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:42:17 -0700

My son was diagnosed with Celiac disease in Sept. of 2002.
We started him on a GF diet right away. I admit that the first few
months were a learning process so I am sure he was not completely GF as
we were learning all the possible sources. His initial TTG test
was 71 with normal being 20 or below. His pediatric GI has been
testing him every 3 months or so and says that our goal is for a normal
test result so that we know his celiac is in remission so to
speak. He is still testing way above normal and I don't understand
why. His test results this week for the TTG were at 50 which is still way
above 20. Does anyone know how long it generally takes on a GF
diet to achieve a normal test result? It feels so discouraging when
we are so careful about his diet and he is still not testing
normal. My son is 12 years old and knows himself to read labels before
eating anything if I am not around, and is not one to not follow the diet
because he knows the consequences. I also read that some Celiac's
are non responsive to a GF diet and may need additional medication. Is this true? I am just
confused as to why he is not responding as well as he should or if it is
normal to take this long for a normal test results. Feedback
from others who are more knowledgeable about this would be extremely helpful
to me. Thank you, Valerie Zelinski