From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:38:55 -0700

Hi Listmates,

I was interested in a recent post that mentioned bloating after gluten
intake. Have other people found fairly dramatic effects like this? In my
case I get puffing particularly from the ribs down (looks like
Kwashiorkor-hope I spelled that right!) although I notice arm
and leg swelling as well. Facial swelling occurs after even the tiniest
amount of gluten (under the chin in particular). I assume it's mostly
water retention (body trying to dilute and flush the gluten toxin?) as it
goes away quite suddenly within about 2 days. I guess it's good to have an
indicator of sorts as GI symptoms aren't always present but it's really
annoying to have your clothes suddenly get tight as if you've put on 20
lbs overnight. I'm interested if anyone knows the physiological mechanisms
of this and also the range of similar reactions others get (would be also
interesting to know if males and females have different degrees of this
relative to body composition differences).
Thanks,
Lissy