From:
Ronnie Herig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ronnie Herig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 21:46:37 -0500

Shingles can occur at any time thru life...it is the chickenpox virus
dormant.  BUT it is usually from a lowered immune system. So be sure to keep
up the GF vitamins,get rest. eat well etc....and stress does lower the
immune
system.Exercise does help relieve stress.
***************
Your body has been stressed out by the celiac and probably leaky
gut....that's why you get the shingles..not strong enough to fight them off.
You should consider going to a certified nutritionist  who can get you back
on track
***************
My mom has had shingles 3 times also.  She is diagnosed with DH and I'm sure
she has celiac also.  I am the diagnosed celiac in the family.  I had a case
of shingles as a child.  Again, that is suppose to be unheard of.
My mother was never diagnosed with CD, although with hindsight I'm
pretty sure she had it.  They had told her IBS and ulcerative colitis, but
since I am CD, I suspect she was too.
In any case, she did have shingles, and our understanding from HER doctor
was that it was like many other herpes viruses (canker sores or genital
herpes, for instance).  Once it's in your system it's always there.  It's
just that some folks have more outbreaks.  Could be wrong, but that's what
we were told.
***************
 I am a celiac and have had shingles and it was nasty and they HURT.  Every
once in a while I get a line of itchy bumps
and I'm terrified that it's back but the dermatologist said that it is
eczema and gave me a scrip for cortisone cream which I use when that
happens.
***************
I don't have shingles, but it is not uncommon for them to reoccur.  We
learned about this in my medicinal chemistry class.  Shingles is a virus
(chicken pox) that hangs out in your nerves and every once in a while comes
to the surface.  Almost everyone who has had chicken pox has the virus in
their nerves.  Some people only have one episode, some have recurring
episodes.  As far as I know, there isn't a lot of evidence as to exactly
what will trigger an outbreak - stress may indeed be a factor, just as
stress can bring on a cold sore.
As with most nerve related stuff, there is no cure at the moment, but there
is work being done - somewhat successfully - to either provide an antiviral
to kill the virus once and for all, or in symptomatic relief.  Again, I'm
not sure how far along this stuff is and I would doubt if it was clinically
available.
***************
Chicken pox usually occurs once, shingles can occur time and time again.
They are the same virus and have nothing to do with celiac. btw, the
homeopathic remedy Rhus Tox 30c 2pills under the tongue as needed will take
care of the symptoms...safely.  can get it in health food stores for five
dollars a vial.
***************
I have had shingles twice in the last 5 years.  Both cases were considered
fairly mild.
***************
I think celiac sets you up for many illnesses.  I have more than I care to
count.
***************
I also got the shingles but I only got them once (knock on wood).  My doctor
said he has only seen one case where they got them more than once but I have
had people tell me straight from the horses mouth that they have got them
numerous times so......could you possibly keep your stress level down?  I
believe mine were due to stress.
***************
I don't have shingles but I get cold sores, also a Herpes virus. Anything
that breaks down your immune system can cause Herpes outbreaks, and shingles
does, I think recur. The virus goes dormant and lives in your nervous
system.
I was looking at something the other day and found an interesting note about
Herpes.
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T22089.html.  Apparently coconut, of
all things, can work against the virus!
Are the Dr.'s absolutely sure it is Shingles?  Could it possibly be DH?  It
(DH) gets its name Dermatitis Herpetiformis because it resembles in
appearance Herpes which is in the Shingles family.  Although, I think there
is much more nerve pain involved with Shingles, whereas DH just itches
intolerably.
my husband who has celiac has had it 1 time as far as we know.

THE END ...................... Ronnie from NJ