From:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 20:36:46 -0400

Today I called Utz Products to inquire about their gluten-free Organic Blue Corn Chips to make sure that the organic sunflower oil listed on the package was GMO free.  I've been finding in many products listed non GMO that the oil is labeled "natural" or "organic" but is not GMO free.

The representative confirmed that the organic sunflower oil was indeed non GMO.  She then told me that this product carries an allergen warning since it is made on the same line as WHEAT and MILK products.  Unfortunately, this is NOT listed on the label.  The rep insisted that it was on the bag, but I checked all the bags on the shelf....no warning found on any.   She proposed that these were old bags, but when I asked her to check how long the warning had been in effect.   It seems it has been posted on this product since it was first introduced to the market.

Either the computer is incorrect or the bag is mislabled.   The representative offered to investigate and stated that she would get back to me with the correct information.

In the meantime, since I'm very sensitive and eat products made only on dedicated lines, I'm not going to eat these chips.  I have had gluten reactions to some of Utz products in the past and perhaps mislabeling is the reason.

Will keep you updated.

Susan Halter

"In giving you are throwing a bridge across the chasm of your solitude."   St. Antoine de Exupery