From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:27:33 -0700

For the many of you that asked me for my peanut brittle recipe:
This is my family's recipe and was created by my grannie.  (not copied
from any cookbook).  Although I have recipes for microwave peanut
brittle, I find they do not crisp up or brown as nicely as the old
fashioned stove top method.

Enjoy,
Jill/Texas

Peanut Brittle (gluten free)
In large heavy skillet combine:
1 cup sugar
1 cup white Karo Syrup
2 cups shelled peanuts (I prefer fresh but you can even use canned if
gf)
dash of salt
Bring to a rolling boil and turn down heat to a gentle continued boil.
Stir constantly until GOLDEN BROWN.  Don't remove from heat too soon or
it will not harden.  Remove from heat and immediately stir in:
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla flavoring (more if you prefer)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pour quickly into buttered or lightly greased 13x9 pan or jelly roll
pan.  Cool COMPLETELY.  Remove from pan as one big piece.  Break on
counter into smaller pieces or use meat hammer to break into small
pieces.  Store in airtight container.  Will remain fresh approximately
1-2 weeks.