From:
"Irwin H. Haut" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:27:22 -0500

Regarding the discussion about that "awful diet." I was
diagnosed two years ago, at age 54. before diagnosis, i was
so ill my doctor thought I might have pancreatic cancer. When
i discovered my problem, and how easy it is to remain healthy,
I decided never to complain about the diet's limitations.
I badly miss eating good bread and cake, but, having been
kosher all my life, i am used to dietary restrictions. people
who keep the jewish dietary laws are always exposed to food
that we cannot eat. The city streets are full of enticing
foods and aromas that are tantalizing, but not permitted to
those who keep kosher.

My grandchildren already know that they cannot eat many foods
that they see. My six year old grandson knows that at a ball
game, he has to eat the food his parents have brought along,
not the hot dogs and tacos that are sold. He has accepted this
as a fact of his life, as do most children who keep kosher, and
they adjust rapidly to a restricted diet that they adhere to for life.

        Celiacs can, and must, do the same.
Rivka Haut