From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 17:08:04 -0800

Between calcium citrate (less concentrated, easily digested, take on an
empty stomach) and calcium carbonate (more concentrated, a little
harder to digest, take on a full stomach),  I chose the latter so far.  I take
a supplement with each meal.  I noticed that Tums and Rolaids are
nothing more than calcium carbonate like the pills, but with a little
flavoring and some magnesium (which we Celiacs need) added.  So I
started taking Rolaids as my calcium supplement.

My question is this: by taking an antacid with each meal, am I not
impairing the stomach's ability to produce the stomach acid level
necessary for proper digestion?  If that level is reduced, am I not
therefore causing incomplete digestion and thus malabsorption all over
again, which is why we take supplements in the first place, and
(experience dictates) constipation?  Or on the other hand, am I causing
the stomach to produce additional acid to get the level to where it should
be, and thereby being hard on the stomach and possibly injurious over
the long term (I guess the rest of my life)?

I just want to stave off osteoporosis, not screw up my digestive system
again.  Anybody got any observations, suggestions?

Jere Cordell