From:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:52:25 -0500

I have volunteered some of these recipes for list members and thought that
many of you might appreciate them--so here goes.    Enjoy!

The Ultimate Salad Dressing

1 ts Dry mustard
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Sugar
1 ts Dried Oregano
2 tb Parsley
2 tb Minced onions
1 tb Minced Garlic cloves
4 ts White wine vinegar
1/2 c  Light Oil

In small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except oil.  Whisk mixture
while slowly drizzling in oil.  Let stand for 30 minutes to blend
flavours. Whisk again before using.  Dressing can also be made in food
processor (use pulse). Yield: 2 servings

Italian Dressing    (this is the one I use the most)

1/2 c. corn oil
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/2 to 1 t. paprika
Dash ground red pepper

I bought a Sip & Serve jar (a plastic cup with a red screw-on lid with a
flip up sip straw from Walmart) and removed the straw inside the cup.
This is what I keep the Italian Dressing in and when ready to use (I take
it with me to restaurants), just shake, open the flip-up straw and douse
your salad.

GF 1,000 Island    (one of my favorites)

Using the homemade mayonnaise, just add a little GF ketchup.  Keep in an
old salad dressing bottle and when ready to make a salad, pour some in a
bowl and add chopped, boiled egg and GF bacon bits.  Delicious!

Orange Poppyseed Dressing  (haven't tried this one yet)

2/3 c  Safflower or corn oil
1/4 c  Lime juice
2 T  Orange juice
2 T  Orange rind; grated
2 T  Honey
2 T  Onion; minced
1 T  Poppy seeds
1 x  Salt & pepper to taste

Serve on a salad of Boston lettuce with melon and chopped prosciutto.
Slightly toast the poppy seeds (method below).  Place all ingredients in a
screw-top jar. Shake vigorously.  Chill until serving. This dressing
complements any green salad, but the addition of some small chunks of
cantelope, honeydew, or star fruit to your greens will enhance the
orange-honey flavor of the dressing.  Or try it over slices of cold roast
pork with nectarine wedges on watercress. Poppy Seeds: Did you know that
it takes almost a million seeds to make a pound? These tiny bluish-black
gems come from the opium poppy plant. But even if you eat a million, you
won=27t experience any narcotic effect. Connoisseurs say those imported
from Holland taste best. For even better flavor, seeds should be slightly
toasted in a 350 degree oven for about 5 min.
Yield: 8 servings

Crunchy Bacon Coleslaw

3/4 c  GF mayonnaise
1 c  Cabbage, red, shredded
1 tb Sugar
1/2 c  Peanuts, chopped
4 c  Cabbage, green, shredded
4    Bacon, crisply cooked, crumb

Mix dressing and sugar in large bowl.  Add remaining ingredients; mix
lightly.  Refrigerate. Yield: 8 servings

Avocado Salad Dressing

1 medium avocado
1/2 c. orange juice
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. salt

Mash avocado in food processor and add remaining ingredients.
Makes 1 cup.

French Dressing

2/3 c. salad oil                  1/16 t. black pepper
1/3 c. cider vinegar              1 t. paprika
3/4 t. salt                       1/2 t. onion salt
4 t. sugar                        1/16 t. dry mustard

Mix well and store in refrigerator.  Makes 1 cup.

Mayonnaise

1/4 t. paprika
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
2 t. powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 c. cider vinegar or lemon juice
1-3/4 c. olive oil or salad oil

Mix dry ingredients; add unbeaten egg yolks and mix; add 1/2 t. vinegar.
Add a few drops of oil, beating in with rotary egg beater.  continue
adding oil by drops, beating thoroughly after each addition until about 2
T. oil have been added and mixtu;re is thickened.  Beat in a little
vinegar, then continue adding oil by teaspoon until 2 more tablespoons
have been used.  As mixture thickens, oil may be added in larger quantities,
beating well after each addition.  Add vinegar to thin as needed.
Continue adding oil & vinegar, beating continuously until all has been
used.  Makes 1 pint.
(This is very good---but it does take a lot of patience and a good working
mixer.  Don*t yield to the urge to add more oil than it says to at a time

Mustard   (haven't tried this one yet)

3 c. GF flour mixture
4 1/2 T. Coleman's dry mustard
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 T. salt

Mix ingredients with apple cider vinegar until desired consistency.  Beat
til smooth.
Makes 1 quart.

Mustardaise

1/3 c. GF mayonaise
1 t. powdered sugar
1-1/2 t. mustard powder
1 T. water
1 T. cider vinegar

Using homemade mayonnaise from recipe above, combine ingredients & store
in refrigerator.

Tartar Sauce

3/4 c. GF mayonnaise
1 t. minced sweet pickle
1 t. capers
2 t. minced scallion
1 t. minced parsley
1 T. apple cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Stir until well blended.  Store in
refrigerator.

Pickled Jalopena Peppers

2-1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1 t. salt
1/4 c. olive oil   (I use a little less)
1/2 c. water

Wash and slice jalopena peppers (slices or strips).   Pack tightly in
jars.  Heat ingredients until boiling; pour in jars to 1/2 to 1* from top
of jar.  Tighten lid.  Put in water bath and boil for 10 minutes.  Turn
off flame; remove jars.  Tighten lids and cool (out of drafts).  Tighten
lids again.   Makes about 2 qts.

Bread and Butter Pickles

6 quart basket of cucumbers
1/3 c. coarse salt
6 med. size onions
3 c. apple cider vinegar
1 green pepper
5 c. sugar
1 red pepper
1-1/2 t. tumeric
1-1/2 t. celery seeds
2 t. mustard seeds
1 t. alum per qt. jar

Wash & thinly slice sufficient med. size cucumbers to measure 16 cups (a
6-quart basket).  Peel & thinly slice 6 med. size onions.   Wash, seed &
cut red and green peppers into thin strips.  Combine the vegetables in a
large preserving kettle, sprinkling salt between layers.  Mix a tray of
ice cubes through the vegetables & cover with another tray of ice cubes.
Let stand 3 hrs.  Drain veggies well.

Combine vinegar, sugar, tumeric, celery seeds, & mustard seeds.  Pour over
DRAINED vegetables.  Heat to boiling point only (all the cooking that is
necessary).  Pack in hot sterilized sealers; store in cool place one month
before using.  Makes 8 pints.

Note:  for crisper and better colored pickles, divide the batch in half
and cook separately.  Also use alum in each jar (1/2 t.)

Dilled Carrots

6 c. cold water
2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. pickling salt
1/4 t. cream of tartar
6 lbs. baby carrots
6-7 med. cloves of slivered garlic
6-7 sprigs fresh dill

Combine water, vinegar, salt & cream of tartar.  Stirring until salt is
dissolved.  Scrape and trim carrots.  put a slivered clove of garlic in
each of 6-7 pint jars.  Add dill sprig to each, then pack in carrots
upright ;and tightly.  Pour vinegar mixture over darrots to fill jars.
Seal & store in a coop place three weeks before using.

Dill Pickles - Kosher Style        (my favorite recipe)

30-36 cucumbers (3-4 inches long)
4 c. apple cider vinegar
4 c. water
6 T. salt (not iodized)
1 T. sugar
Fresh or dried dill
Fresh garlic
Mustard seed

Wash cucumbers.  Combine vinegar, water, salt & sugar and bring to a boil.
 Place a generous layer of dill, 1/2 to 1 clove garlic (sliced) and 1
teaspoon mustard seed in bottom of each jar.  Tightly pack jars with
cucumber spears or slices.  Fill jars to within 1/2 inch from top with the
boiling brine.  Screw on lids firmly tight.  Process 20 min. in boiling
water bath.

Chicken a la King

1 5-lb. chicken
1 T. salt
4 level T. GF flour
2 chopped pimientos or red peppers
1 qt. chicken broth
1 lg. can  mushrooms
1 chopped green pepper

Cut chicken into pieces, add 3 qts. water and cook until tender.  Cool,
remove meat from bones and cut into small pieces.  Dissolve the flour and
salt in a little cold broth and add to the remainder of the broth which
has been heated.   Cook until slightly thickened, stirring to keep free
from lumps;  Add mushrooms, pepper, pimiento and chicken.  heat to boiling
and fill jars to 1* from the top.  Put on lids, frimly tight.  Yield:  5
pints.  Process pints 75 minutes; quarts 90 min.; 10 lbs. pressure.

Chili

1 c. chopped onion
6 T. chili powder
2 T. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 dried red pepper (opt.)
1 pint canned tomatoes
2 lbs. pinto beans
7-1/2 c. boiling water

Wash beans.  Cover with cold water & soak overnight.  Drain off water..
Combine all ingredients and boil 5 minutes.  Pack hot into jars wo 2* from
the top.  Fill liquid to 1/2* from top.  Add lids, frimly tight.  Yield:
8 pints.  Process:  pints 60 min.; qts. 60 min.; 10 lbs. pressure.  (Do
not can meat with the beans.)