From:
Shawn Pallotta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 14:55:27 -0400

I recently posted a message about using distilled vinegar for cleaning
which contained grain vinegar.

Here is a summary of the responses I received.

Basically, the advice was unanimous, that distilled vinegar is not an
issue, because the distillation process removes large non-volatile
particles such as gluten.   One person mentioned that CSA (celiac sprue
assoc.) would disagree with this statement.  Some people mentioned also
that for cleaning purposes, especially if it is not ingested, it should
not be an issue anyway.

Some other suggestions for cleaning were apple cider vinegar,
particularly Heinz quart bottle; the gallon bottle is "apple flavored."
Rice wine vinegar was also suggested.

Several people mentioned to definately mentioned avoiding malt vinegar.

I quickly saw how this was a well researched area, and several people
attached some useful web links of past articles/resources.  Thank you
all for the help.

An on-line copy of Ann Whelan's landmark article on vinegar
http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/vinegar.html

A post written by a chemical engineering professor who also has celiac
disease http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9804A&L=celiac&
P=R2627

A summary that includes (at the end) a very detailed explanation of the
manufacture of vinegar by Richard Abrams
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9801D&L=celiac&P=R1689

A short post summarizing information given by J. A. Campbell, Ph.D.
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9504&L=celiac&P=R4551