From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:40:11 -0500

Thank you for your responses. Looks like a cross-representation of cruiselines..and some good advice.. And I just posted the request today!

Again...if you've had success on the land excursion parts....that's what I need to hear.

Thank you very much. Lin

--Carnival is the ship for you, with a child. She will have a great time.
Holland America is for the older folks, for sure. I am aware Princess goes
up there with the extended trip, but don't know how good their kids' program
is.  Carnival owns Holland,Princess. You will have NO PROBLEMS with gluten
free food on board. If you go off board, they can help you pack a sandwich,
banana, etc. You can also board with your own muffins, which you can store
in the stateroom frig. I also bring gluten free bread mix and sometimes even
cakes, and Carnival bakes them for me. Carnival now has a gluten free
dessert menu, as well, to choose from Have fun!

--We did a Princess tour of Alaska a couple of years ago.  They were really
good with gluten free both on the ship and the land excursions.

--Take a look at Lindblad Expeditions:
http://www.expeditions.com/Destination44.asp?Destination=282
Small ship - about 60 passengers.  Naturalists on board, wonderful food,
can get close to glaciers, etc.  We went on the Sea Lion on an Inside
Passage expedition and we had a wonderful time.  There are opportunities
every day to get off the ship for hiking and kayaking. We went before I was GF but I would not hesitate to go now I am. And the food was great!

--Holland America picks up Kinnikinek food for celiacs if you alert them ahead of time.  Then your biggest problem is making sure the kitchen gets it right!

--I am taking a Norwegian Cruise from Spokane up the Inside Passage to Glacier Bay on Aug. 10.  It is a Bluegrass theme.  I have heard they are great on board.  I would imagine you would be able to have a lunch made up the evening before day trips.  Snag enough food off the buffet???  I'll be anxious to learn the responses you receive.

--My husband is Chief Engineer on a cruise ship. I cruise a lot and  have some
experience. If you want to really tailor the cruise to your grand daughter,
Carnival is probably your best choice. Princess is mainly for older couples,
(more and higher service). Holland-Amerika, as most of the lines during the
school vacation, have plenty of children on board. But not all are 'child
friendly' in such that there are lots of activities for them. However all
have children's areas, and dedicated personnel to play and supervise. Food
is not a problem on either line. Just keep in mind to advice them about 6
weeks in advance of the special needs. It's advisable to eat in the dining
room, special needs can be easier accommodated. The buffets are 24 hours
open and all ships have several other restaurants, such as a Pizza place,
Steak house, Hamburger stand, where she can eat, if the food is ordered the
day prior. The buffets do not accommodate special needs, (that was a painful
lesson I learned), but the choices are large and change several times a day.
I learned to bring food for the first 1-2 days, such as bread with me.  (The
hamburger stand does not require ordering in advance, just explain to the
cook how to prepare it.)
On the first evening you will find the Maitr'D in the dining room and he
will give you the menu for the following day to order the food. From there
on it will be easy. Good Luck to you and enjoy, it will be great fun for
all. I guarantee it.

*******
*******