From:
Annette Willits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 12:55:18 -0500

Hi friends,

Last week I posted a message to inquire about edema following recent
diagnosis of CD.  I plan to summarize this info for everyone very soon
as it is extremely insightful.

At present however, I have another inquiry relating to one of the
edema) if I had been tested for diabetes or to see how my kidneys
functioned.  Since Friday of last week, the edema is down, but the area
were I believe my kidneys are located (upper middle back) have hurt a
great deal since then.  For several days, it has been difficult to get
out of bed or move because of the pain.  I have been drinking tons of
water (15++  glasses per day) and thought maybe my kidneys were being
overworked.  I have cut back a bit, but they still hurt.  Some other
things I am noticing is that my hair is falling out by the hand full (I
have long hair and pull a good deal out after showering and when I brush
my hair.  My nails are also very brittle.  Is this a sign of anything?
Also, I have not gotten my period since diagnosis (over 35 days ago, and
no possibility of pregnancy  : ).

I do have my first follow up Dr. appt. (following an inpatient diagnosis
1 month ago) scheduled for next Monday.  However, I would appreciate any
input fellow celiacs might have to offer including other symptoms,
likelihood of diabetes, etc.  This is a bit alarming for me.  Thanks to
all for taking the time to reply.

Annette in Minneapolis