From:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:27:06 -0500

On 10/23/07 I asked about G-F groceries & markets in the Tenafly-
Englewood -Teaneck area of New Jersey.
My apologies to all for the long delay in getting this summary out.

I received many wonderful responses, including follow-up additional
info from several people, whom I have acknowledged directly.

**  I asked for info on stores that carry a good assortment of GF
products - particularly good quality bread for turkey stuffing.  Also,
suggestions on where to buy g-f fresh natural turkeys w/o added
flavorings or juices.

**  Many responses contained explicit driving directions and detailed
info on products carried by the stores they recommended.  One person
sent attachments with detailed information from vendors and celiac
groups on the g-f status of many brands of turkeys and hams.  See
below.

SUMMARY
There were 22 replies, including follow up  information from several
people.

-->>   Two stores were recommended by almost everyone, in enthusiastic
and glowing terms:
   Happy Carrot Natural Foods in River Edge,  & "The Gluten Free Market"
in Fair Lawn.       (See full info below)

-- Whole Foods:  Two stores are in the area: one in Edgewater, near the
GW Bridge, and one in Ridgewood.

Whole Foods are good for their fresh, natural turkeys during the
Holidays, and for their own "Gluten-Free Bakehouse line of g-f breads &
other bakery items. They also carry some g-f flours and mixes and
cereals & crackers, etc.

**  Whole Foods Locations:
(1)  In Ridgewood
Whole Foods Market
44 Godwin Ave
Ridgewood, NJ 07450
Phone: 201.670.0383

(2) In Edgewater (Fort Lee area)
Whole Foods Market
905 River Road
Edgewater, NJ 07020
Phone: 201.941.4000

BUT -
The overwhelming recommendations were for these two stores:

1. The Happy Carrot Natural Foods
636 Kinderkamack Road, River Edge NJ 07661
201-986-0818

COMMENTS - about "The Happy Carrot" market
--  " more GF food than any other place"
  -- "Natural Food Store and Gourmet Deli. Juice Bar and organic
produce. Vegan-friendly.
Menu: Soups, salads, ready-made sandwiches, main dishes and desserts.
Local organic produce used when possible."
--  "They carry Everybody Eats products - excellent deli rolls, french
baguettes, etc.  They have Joan GF Great Bakes - excellent chocolate
chip cookie dough (just bake them for about 15 minutes), bagels, and
english muffins!  Keith (a co-owner) is most helpful! " --   "This
store has a great selection of GF items - grocery, mixes (GF Pantry,
Pamela's, Authentic Foods, EnjoyLife, Kinnikinnick, Tinkyada and
Glutino, Foods by George, Chebe, Gillians and more."
--  This store has hands down the largest supply of gluten free foods.
You wont believe your eyes!
I buy ravioli, bread, cookies, cakes, donuts, pizza, etc...anything you
can imagine they have!
  --  they have all of the major brands and much more, like Everybody
Eats (who make awesome
baquettes and pizza), Joan's GF bagels and pizza, Mr. Ritts, Celiac
Specialities etc....

**  Directions to "Happy Carrot":
 From Garden State Pkwy, take Rte 4 exit (#161) towards Paramus, and go
east 1½ mile on Rte 4, then turn left onto Forest Ave going north for a
half-mile, then at Howland Ave turn right and go a third-mile east,
then at 5th Ave turn right and go 2 blocks, then at Wayne Ave turn
right and go a quarter-mile, then at Elm Ave turn left and go a
half-mile, then at Monroe Ave turn right and go a quarter-mile, then at
Kinderkamack Rd (CR 503) turn left and then this place is 1 block down

2.  "Gluten Free Market"  (that's its name)
7-09 Fair Lawn Ave. Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
(201) 703-5500

COMMENTS - "The Gluten Free Market"
--  This is a real find and worth the trip -  the ONLY 100% gluten free
store Iin the NYC area.
  --  Co-owners and sisters Rose & Sandy (sisters of Mr. Ritt, of
Philly's famous Mr. Ritt's GF Bakery).
They've managed to assemble the widest selection of delicious gluten
free items from
all across the country, --  Kinnikinnick, Glutino and Tinkyada and
smaller boutique producers
like Everybody Eats, Mr. Ritt's, and Joan's GF Great Bakes (the "Bagel
Lady").
They even distribute for small home-based startup operations, who
regularly bring in their new creations for the
owners to sample and consider stocking in the Market.
--  Stocks Sandwich Bread, Frozen Waffles, Donuts, Frozen Pizza...and
the BEST GF
Bagels & English Muffins you'll ever try (Joan's)

***  Other Stores Mentioned:

  3.  Healthway Natural Food Center
35 Riveredge Rd, Tenafly, NJ
  201-569-4558
Directions:
Right next to the Italian Gourmet Deli and Lowell Cleaner on River Edge
Road.

Comments:
Although several people mentioned this store and one said, "I go there
every time I am home and the owner
is very knowledgeable and very nicer", the general comment about this
store was that their selection of g-f items is rather limited and
basic, and that they do not carry the more exciting really good brands.
One person with multiple food intolerances said: "Healthways also has
the best selection of naturopathic medicine around so I suspect the
owner is focused more on that side of the product selection."

GF TURKEYS
*  Whole Foods stores in Ridgewood and in Edgewater for their natural,
fresh turkeys
*  Shoprite Supermarket - all over NJ - for Shady Brook gluten free
turkey.

OTHER INFORMATION

For  additional info on turkeys & recipes, go to
http://www.harriswholehealth.com/news/the-great-turkey-list

For info on g-f stuffing recipes, go to
http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/11/gluten-free-thanksgiving-
round-up.html

One person sent three Word file document attachments with info about
g-f brands of turkeys, hams, stuffing, gravy & what to be aware of.
They are too big to include the text in this summary.
*** If you would like these files sent directly to you, please e-mail
directly.

1.  Thanksgiving Turkeys.doc  (43 Kb)
2.  Thanksgiving Hams.doc     (41.5 Kb)
3.   Thanksgiving Recipes.doc  (64.5 Kb)

Hopes this is summary is not too late to be of use.
Marshall