From:
Peggy White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 21:15:10 -0500

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'm feeling better already just by eliminating milk, and eating small amounts of hard cheese and yogurt, which contain very little, if any, lactose. The bloating is gone!?!
I've decided I'm not ready or willing to give up all dairy (yet) for two weeks to a month to see if I notice a difference.

Keeping a food diary is a good idea.

Many of you are or have experienced many of the same symptoms -some of you are lactose intolerent.  Others cannot tolerate casein.

Some of you are wondering about your faces breaking out, too.

I am going to try eating just egg whites instead of the whole egg, as one person suggested.

One responder said that she seems to be developing more and more sensitivities the longer she is gf.

If I want a diagnosis (lactose or casein intolerent), it was suggested that I discuss it with my doctor or use Dr. Fine's Enterolab.

Some dairy alternatives:
SILK SOYMILK CREAMER
SILD SOYMILK - vanilla and plain
VANCE'S DAIRY FREE
one person uses goatmilk for everything, including baking and ice cream
juice for cereal
Lactaid milk, ice cream, pills
coconut milk
maple syrup in hot syrup - forget the milk
ALMOND BREEZE
Rice Milk

From you:

Take "the formula" one l=glutamine capsule and one Probotics complex capsule with each meal....In about 6 months .leaky guy is healed and usually li is gone.  Now, are you li or allergic?  Look at ear wax after you
have milk...my md said if you had dark brown sticky was you are allergic to cow's milk and you're going to have to forget at it forever.  Otherwise, just stay off it until your gut heals....BUT YOU CAN CONSUME
GOAT'S MILK AND CHEESE MADE FROM GOAT'S MILK.  Some people can tolerate yogurt, some can't.  Stay off it for several weeks, then on an empty stomach, take your pulse and then have  a few tablespoons of
yougurt....30,60, 90 min later take your pulse.  If it goes above ten percent, you are allergic and just stay off it and stick to goat's milk.  My adopted daughter was very allergic to cow's milk and I made yogurt
from goat's milk in a wide mouth thermos for years!

The thing to do, I believe, in your case, is to stop all dairy products for a good period of time, (months), then introduce them one by one. Keep a food diary with symptoms/reactions so that you can nail the possible offenders.
I know how difficult it is to give up a much loved food, but eliminating it from your diet is just about the only way until you carefully introduce it again.
Coconut milk is something you could try. Tofu products are worth a try too. They aren't what we love and crave, but these substitutes may be the best you can do for now. Try rice cereal for breakfast...it can be made with water or the above mentioned coconut milk. Try rice pudding made with coconut milk. Look up some recipes too...
http://www.thaikitchen.com/products/coconut_milk/coconutproducts.html
http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/coconut.txt
http://www.sspindia.com/food-processing-industry/coconut-milk-processing-plant.html
 http://www.bestlifeint.com/products/products.html