Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:14:59 -0400

Greetings from Washington, D.C. where we hit a record 105 degrees F today and
we have experienced our first real rain storm(s) in more than a month.  The
temperature has dropped to the 80's.

Last week one of you wrote about discovering Tamarind Tree Indian mixes at
the Whole Foods in Boston....well I had been carrying around their order form
that comes with each issue of Gluten-Free Living intending to order some of
their mixes feeling they were alittle expensive....Friday night at another
Whole Foods grocery in Washington, Fresh Fields, I looked in the Indian
section and found the Tamarind Tree Indian mixes!!  I brought out the order
sheet and compared the variety and finally the price.  They are US$3.99 on
the order sheet and US$2.99 at Fresh Fields.  So thank you nice person from
Boston as I've saved not only US$1 a box but the US$5 shipping charge.  Fresh
Fields didn't have their Pappadums, however the brand they carry are gluten
free.  On retrospect I became more than annoyed that they are cheaper in a
store.  I suggest to any one who doesn't have access to an indian food store
or enlightened grocery and needs to order these by mail to mention the
cheaper price.  (When ordering by mail there is no middle man.)

The other ad with Gluten-Free Living was one for Wasa, the original
crispbread.  So today I looked at Fresh Fields to see if they have it.  they
didn't however...they carried Hol-Grain Crackers that look and taste quite
like the Wasa crackers.  The box is marked Wheat Free--Gluten Free.  They are
made by Conrad Rice Mill, Inc. under the Konriko brand in New Iberia,
Louisiana, at the oldest rice mill in America.  They have low salt brown rice
crackers, no salt brown rice crackers and low salt brown rice onion garlic
and are US$1.69.

Whole Foods/Fresh Fields also carry Deep Sea brand Tuna Fish.  One of their
kinds of tuna is made with tuna and spring water.  The price is US$0.99
cents.  The Sun Kist low salt at our local Giant Food is US$1.99 for a can of
tuna with distilled water.  I like the taste of the Deep Sea brand much
better.  Again, a smaller brand in a slightly pricey (and enlightened)
grocery is cheaper.

Happy eating!!  Sarah

Sarah Barnett
Washington, D.C.