From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:13:54 -0800

I originally posted about some of the milder of the goofy things I've done while under the influence of gluten. I asked if anyone else experiences personality changes while under the influtence of gluten.  I've received so many responses so soon, I decided to post this summary right away.  As more stuff comes in, I'll include it too.  Names have been omitted as many stories are of a personal nature.  So ... anyone else wants to respond, it's not to late to get it into part 2 or part 3 or 4....  Some of what I've summarized is dialogue between me & the respondant.  My responses & comments will be in brackets.  Valerie in Tacoma
-----------
 I can relate, I do the Jekyll and Hyde thing when on gluten. Its pretty scary so I make sure to avoid it at all costs even if that means going hungry.
------------------
We're still learning but we have seen a consistent pattern of personality changes with my 11 year old celiac daughter after what we suspect is an accidental gluten exposure. In fact, this change is one of the first clues to us that she may have been exposed to gluten. She is the most positive, bubbly, energetic individual - she was born that way - things roll off of her, her e-mail address name is "lifeisgreat" - she is just exceedingly positive, social and happy. After a gluten exposure, she is depressed, grumpy, impatient, feels like life is awful and unfair and she just cries. It is so hard to understand how gluten is acting on the body to cause such changes - I don't think it could be related to absorption changes so quickly (though I guess we rarely know exactly WHEN an exposure occurs relative to these other changes - I don't know but it is consistent.) For whatever it's worth, she also gets very cold (she is usually very warm, wears tank tops all winter, sleeps in summer pajamas all winter...but when she's in one of these episodes, she just can't get warm and actually feels cold to the touch) and also feels tingly in her extremities.
------------
How did you erroneously get into the gluten to begin with?   I've read many of your lists info, & I believe you to be one savvy gal, just from your explanations of subjects you are dealing with.  My above question is certainly not a put down by any stretch of the imagination, just curious to know what you got into, so I don't make the same mistake (s).
[It seems at least once a year I learn a NEW way to get glutenated!  The last time I accidentally drank out of my husband's water glass that he left sitting on the kitchen counter next to the sink.  I thought it was my glass.  When he saw me drinking from it, he said, "That's my glass & I ate gluten today!" but it was too late!  Live & learn! . . .] -----------------------
Your symptoms suggest partial complex seizures. A good neurologist can check this out. That said, the only choices, if so, are chronic meds for those times when you accidentally get gluten, which have their own side effects, or to get a buddy to help keep you straight when you're under the influence. [Unfortunately while I'm under the influence, I'm too confused to know I'm confused & need help!  By the time I figure it out, it's usually over.]
In all seriousness, it would be chronic treatment, which is hardly ideal for something that, I hope, happens infrequently. Assuming of course that that's actually what's going on. A medication for when you're having the problem would be great but I don't know of one.
[A powerful sedative that would knock me out for a couple of days would be nice for minimizing the damage I do while under the influence!]
--------------------
I'm so surprised that when you are glutened you could actually be out and about!  Being fairly new to this (diagnosed since Aug. '06) I've been glutened twice that I know of.  Both times had me totally brain fogged, clouded thinking, kind of dizzy, almost felt a little drunk, nauseated, achy, tired and VERY out of it.  I just layed around in my pjs and couldn't function much at all for the first couple of days, then the last days of it I was totally incapacitated from the horrendous stomach aches!  There's no way I could be out shopping or sewing or any of the things you said you did!  I was just a lump.  Maybe that's a good thing!  I can normally be overly impulsive, accidentally put my foot in my mouth and embarrass myself all on my own w/o being under the influence of gluten!   I can't imagine what I might be capable of if I were unleashed to the world under the influence!

[I still get the fatigue & such that makes me too sick to go out, but the personality changes hit hours before the physical illness hits.  By the time the physical illness hits, the damage is already done!]

Wow, is this what I have to look forward to?  It was a delayed reaction for me too, a couple of days.  It took me awhile to even figure out that it was from gluten.  I knew I had accidentally been glutened in a restaurant, but when I didn't feel anything that night and the next day, I thought (wrongly) that I was in the clear.  But I never even thought that maybe my symptoms might change!  And I guess I just so happened to be at home when the symptoms hit me, I woke up with it.  But I never even thought about the possibility of it hitting while I was out somewhere!!  YIKES!!  WATCH OUT, WORLD!!  Lord only knows what I might do!  Please summarize what others say about this.  I guess I should be prepared!!
When I stopped eating gluten, my entire personality changed for the better. I was a cranky, unpleasant person who had trouble learning as well as I thought I could when on gluten. The very few occasions I have had gluten since then, mental fogginess and cranky behavior is part of my typical reaction. I am also an avid seamstress-- I could just imagine how much money I could waste on stupid/poorly thought out mistakes if I started sewing during gluten reactions!
Can't say that I have ever experienced anything like you have described but I do get very aggitated and impatient when glutened. I also have difficulty organizing my thoughts at that time. I can see why a child on gluten might throw a tantrum. I sometimes wonder how I got anything done before I went GF.
Who knows how gluten can affect the workings of the brain? Doctors have yet to do studies on it...and they should be doing this. However, I'm sure you will get plenty of anecdotal information on your questions. For myself, I can get very forgetful. The other day I forgot my banking pin number, and I never forget numbers. I get kind of stupid, as I call it. I think it can be attributed to stress on the body affecting the working of the brain, and everyone is different, so you will probably get a wide variety of answers.
[I'm actually surprized at how similar the responses are!]
*******
*******