From:
Dawn Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:46:53 EST

Hi Gang,

Sorry for the delay on the thyroid summary.  I finally talked with my
doctor this morning.  Anyways, before, I mentioned I had elevated
thyroid levels (7.5) and my doctor wanted to put me on medication.  I
asked the group if diet could affect the thyroid.  A few people wrote
back saying that yes, they believed it could.  Soy and salt were
mentioned as culprits.  Also, one person wrote that "According to
Prescription for Nutritional Healing (found in most health food stores
but cheaper at Sam's Club), broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach,
soybeans, Brussels sprouts, mustard greens, peaches, pears, and radishes
supress thyroid function."  Another person stated that the thyroid gets
better once on the diet.  Another stated that stress affected his
thyroid levels.  One person mentioned a web site:
http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid/mbody.htm

Also, a chat site: http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid/blchatsch.htm

Also, the negative affects of soy:
http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid/cs/soysdownsides/index.htm

However, most people wrote saying they were interested in the summary.  My
doctor (Kaiser Hospitals) said that she didn't believe diet affected the
thyroid.  In a nut shell, I'm being retested and if my levels are still high
I will be put on the medication.  I'm also going to stop receiving the
communion host (as I probably should have two years ago when I started the gf
diet).  Whether that would have prevented the development of thyroid disease
in me is anyone's guess.  Anyways, I hope this helps those in similar
situations.

Sincerely,
Dawn
Los Angeles