From:
Mike Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 07:48:31 +0100

[log in to unmask] (Mike Johnson) lamented:

Don Wiss then wrote:

>The biggest problem is that the entity that funds studies, has an
>expectation of profiting from the anticipated results. When the solution is
>a diet change, no money can be made. As billions and billions of dollars is
>being made on drugs sold for schizophrenia (Clozaril costs $25,000 per
>year), arthritis, depression, attention-deficit disorder, epilepsy, IBS, MS,
>etc. the pharmaceutical industry would rather we not know about gluten and
>its effects. This is especially noticeable in the US where relatively few
>studies are even being done on celiac disease itself. And the direction of
>government funded studies is controlled by lobbyists and revolving door
>bureaucrats.

Mike Johnsaon adds:-

I have changed the thread by adding VESTED INTEREST.
It is becoming clear that an additional force is required here. The net
lends itself well to the organisation of an additional force, and could
become very powerful.

I don't know whet medical charities there are in existence in the US which
would be suitable for developing *independents* research, without the
influence of conventional (so called) medics and drug companies..may be its
worth checking.

In the UK there is the MS Society (I know this is the Coeliacs columns but
in my view the two are related through Gluten...and there is a lot more
going on here than in the MS Support newsgroup about gluten, where by the
way I will post a pointer!).

The MS Society which is by far and away the wealthiest and highest profile
MS charity is run by...you guessed it conventional doctors....and of course
we therefore have posturing.

The official view is that patients should ignore all nasty rumours about
diet..particularly gluten as this only raises false hopes. Give generously
so that we can develop a drug (and get paid in cash and fame!)

The MS Society spend millions of pounds on advertising and states quite
categorically that it is looking for a 'cure'.

The other argument of the medics and the MS Society (run my medics) is that
there is no proof. Well of course there is no proof. There is no money
available to carry out research in this area because it is all spent looking
for a 'cure'.

It makes me wonder how we ever managed to decide that cigarettes cause lung
cancer...although the cigarette companies' medical staff will tell you there
is still no proof!!

I would ask some learned mebers of the medical profession what they think
should point the direction for research. I would have thought that
correlation of statistics and unnatural substances was a good start.

Perhaps a member of the medical profession would like to respond. I could of
course be misunderstaning the whole scenario!

Mike Johnson