From:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 09:39:48 -0800

Here's the summary of GF restaurant/store info in the Houston/Pearland area.  It all came from my new celiac friend Dorina.  Isn't it amazing how wonderful the "Celiac Family" are!?!  We really are in this together!

  Amy Roberts
  Milwaukee, WI

  Moody Gardens.  It is a huge complex featuring 3 rain forests with butterflies and birds within the display, 2 IMAX movies, an entire beach pool (which will be closed for the winter season), an Aquarium – oh, the restaurant in Moody gardens Hotel which is associated with the complex, there is a tall, thin, waiter serving at the buffet – he is a celiac, and he can steer you to a gluten free meal if you venture in there for lunch while at Moody Gardens.

  Another area you should check out while here is Kemah, Texas Boardwalk.  There is a restaurant, The Aquarium, that you’ve got to see – huge tanks with live sharks.  You can get a gluten free meal there – stick is fresh fish or lump crab (my personal favorite done with butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic, broiled quickly in its own crock with a fresh baked potatoe and salad.  Kemah is very close, maybe 20 minutes away from Pearland

  There is a wonderful health food store named NATURAL REWARDS.  The store is directly on FM518, also called Broadway, this section is East Broadway (east of Telephone Rd).  Their telephone number is 281 412 3303.  Their physical address is 3704-C East Broadway, Pearland 77581.  It is on the south side of the street in a small strip mall.  They sell all kinds of health foods, as well as aromatherapy, vitamins, herbs, etc.  hey have a pretty large selection of all types of GF foods including frozen.

    There are 3 restaurants in the area – Pei Wei Asian Food Restaurant, on the northbound side of i-45 on the feeder just at Clear lake Blvd. in Webster.  I also frequent Carrabba’s restaurant on Bay area boulevard in Webster/Friendswood.  Across from Carrabba's is The Outback Steakhouse.  The manager about 6 months ago was a celiac herself, so I think you might have luck there too.

   If you have to go to a hospital use Memorial Hermann Southeast in Pearland, TX.  They have an excellent R.D. in charge and if you need to get admitted they will get your diet right.

  If you visit Galveston, you can get gluten free wonderful meal at Gaido’s Restaurant right on the Sea Wall.