From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:51:51 -0700

Original question: "Can someone explain if there is a difference in
"cows milk protein intolerance" and "lactose intolerance?"

Because so many of you requested that I forward all my responses to you,
I am summarizing at length the replies.  Hope they are helpful as they
were to me.  Thank you all for your help.

Almost everyone stated that there is a distinct difference between cows
milk protein intolerance and lactose intolerance.  However, there were a
few that felt they are the same.  My doctor explained that with cows
milk proteing intolerance the body actually creates antibodies to fight
the protein (just like gluten).  Here's the responses from the Listserv.

Thanks to all,
Jill in Texas
(newly diagnosed gluten intolerance, milk, egg, yeast )

"Casein intolerance is quite common in celiacs as casein is very like
gluten at the molecular level ( looks alike to the immune system).  This
is not the same as lactose intolerance which may subside after the villi
return to normal.."

"No, unfortunately, it's not the same.  Lactose intolerance is due to
the lack of enzyme lactase.  Lactase is naturally made on the tips of
the villi -- the area damaged by Celiac.  Once the intestine heals, the
tips heal and begin to produce the lactase again (usually).Milk protein
intolerance is something like gluten intolerance.  Both casein and
gluten are proteins that triggers an autoimmune reaction."

ALLERGY TO CASEIN OR WHEY
http://www.parentsofallergicchildren.org/allergy_to_casein_or_whey.htm

"Allergic reactions to casein and/or whey protein are caused by an
immunological sensitivity to milk protein - rather than the sugar.  A
reaction to casein or whey can cause breathing problems, hives and
rashes, abdominal pain, and possibly serious weight loss.  While there
are at least 30 types of potentially allergy-causing proteins in milk,
casein is the most prevalent.  The proteins lactalbumin and
lactoglobulin, which comprise the whey proteins, are also known to cause
problems.Because whey proteins are changed by high heat, those sensitive
to why can sometimes tolerate evaporated, boiled, or sterilized milk and
milk powder.

That other 80% of milk, the casein, is unfortunately for sensitive
folks, heat stable.  It's also the most common allergen in cheese, which
seems to be particularly craved by those who can't have it.  The harder
the chees, the more casein it contains.And because milk proteins are not
altered sufficiently when milk is converted to other dairy products like
cheese or yogurt, the only way to avoid reactions is to avoid milk in
all its forms.Interestingly, too, the molecular structure of casein is
similar to that of gluten, and those with celiac disease may also suffer
from casein intolerance."

"One and the same, why would you want to add back milk? there are better
substitutes."

"No, it is two different things. I have a milk protein intolerance and
can never drink milk. When I have to slightest hidden amount, I react. I
am taking a drug 4x a day with lactose in it and it hasn't bothered me
the way I thought it would. I thought I would get a milk reaction, and I
haven't.  If I were you, I wouldn't add it back, but if you do, and you
are truly allergic, you will find out soon enough."

"As far as I know they are the same.  If you problem was really bad with
milk I would wait a little longer to make sure your villi are really
healed.  I added hard cheeses first and went slowly at first with
yougart and milk."

"I would think the test is saying they only know you are allergic to
cow's milk, vs goat, sheep, etc.  Cow's milk is the most common at least
in this country, so that's probably all they were concerned about in the
test, which generally also means lactose intolerant.I know I was lactose
intolerant for at least 12 years, but after being diagnosed with CD,
then continuing lactose and gluten free diet for another year, I was
able to slowly reintroduce milk back into my diet.  I can now ingest
approx 1 cup of milk product without getting sick."

"Lactose is the sugar in milk, not the protein. The enzyme to digest
this sugar is called lactase and is manufactured by cells at the tip of
the villi in the small intestine. The reason most people can eat dairy
products again after a year +/- is that the villi tend to "regrow" from
base to tip.  However, it is a demand system. If you don't *use* it, you
can permanently lose the ability to manufacture it. That's why people
who quit drinking milk in their teens can't suddenly start again when
they fear osteoporosis.  They can no longer make the enzyme. Lactaid
brand enzyme can be added to milk before drinking to make it easier to
digest (tablets are GF, not the liquid-last time I checked). Some foods
have less lactose than others-butter, hard aged cheeses, ice cream and
sour cream are lower in lactose than milk and fresh cheeses. These foods
are sometimes easier to eat sooner."