From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:29:09 -0700

Dear Listmates -
I am sorry that I cannot answer individually. I am swamped with some other matters right now, and short on time.

Most listmates emailed to ask for a link to the article about
the study involving inhaled gluten. I don't have a link to that.
I was sent a link to an abstract of it. The whole article requires a subscription to New England Journal of Medicine.

I don't know what I did with the email with link to abstract. It is in the April 14, 2007 issue, so you may be able to get the journal through interlibrary loa.

One listmate emailed me the whole article as an attachment, but I can't reproduce it here without breaking copyright laws, and can't attach anything, because I don't think we can post to the list with an attachment.

The full article is about two patients referred for non-responsive Celiac disease, and both were working in enclosed spaces with animal feeds that contained barley and wheat, as well as other ingredients. Inhaling these in a closed space kept their symptoms going.

While that is an extreme situation, I think that working in a bakery, or standing in a bakery to pick up wheat-based products for someone, or eating in a pancake house - any situation in which there is a lot of flour in the air, and maybe in the area where a person is standing, is a risk.

For some people, there may not be a problem, but some of us are more sensitive than other.

Please - no email on this - I know for some people there is no issue. For others, there is. No time to answer email right now - sorry.
-Vicki